Science Forums

What it takes to move the moon.

DoesntMatter

19 hours ago, DoesntMatter said:

Answer: it takes another moon.  On Reddit someone calculated it would trillions of Saturn 5 rockets and 2/3rds of the oceans worth of rocket fuel.  It would take another moon size object to change its orbit.

That sounds about right, I was going to answer this question but the "Forums Update" made it difficult to post the equations so I didn't, The moon's Mass is 7.34767309 × 1022 kilograms which is pretty heavy I would suggest using Nuclear Bombs myself to move it that were between 25 Mt(1.046*10^17 Joules) to 50 Mt(2.092*10^17 Joules) a much higher energy release than rocket fuel, but still it would take like 36,735,000,000,000,000,000,000 Joules to change the velocity of the moon by 1 m/s  if imparted in the opposite direction as it's motion being 1022 m/s, 175,598 nuclear bombs that were 50 Mt would slow it by 1 m/s making the orbit slightly closer making the velocity only 1021 m/s. To bring the moon to a stop and crashing down into the earth it would take 38,369,119,740,000,000,000,000,000,000 Joules of Energy to cancel out the motion completely of 1022 m/s taking 183,408,794,169 , 50 Mt nuclear bombs detonated in the opposite direction as the motion, though that may actually blow the moon into pieces.

hqdefault-1.jpg

kinetic-energy.png

gravitation-21-638.jpg%22%C2%A0

Edited by VictorMedvil

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2020 at 8:02 AM, DoesntMatter said:

The earth's moon is tidal locked, therefore it can be fitted with rockets on it's far side and forced into a smaller orbit.  My question is how much force would that take and how much rocket fuel would it take to accomplish that force?  Given earth's resources and human technology could this be conceivable on any timeframe?

What do you mean by the term 'tidal locked'? Are you suggesting that earth's tides have an influence on the moon?