Science Forums

Body Proteins

hazelm

I know about the proteins and their enzymes with all the work they do.  My  Question is "do scientists know exactly how many of these proteins there are?"  I am wondering because they seem to have IDs.  Maybe not all have IDs but I've read of several.  For example, this morning I saw GPI1 and POU4F3

• 1 month later...
On 9/12/2020 at 1:54 PM, hazelm said:

I know about the proteins and their enzymes with all the work they do.  My  Question is "do scientists know exactly how many of these proteins there are?"  I am wondering because they seem to have IDs.  Maybe not all have IDs but I've read of several.  For example, this morning I saw GPI1 and POU4F3

"In humans, genes vary in size from a few hundred DNA bases to more than 2 million bases. An international research effort called the Human Genome Project, which worked to determine the sequence of the human genome and identify the genes that it contains, estimated that humans have between 20,000 and 25,000 genes."

Genes code Proteins so around 20,000 to 25,000 different proteins make up the human body.