Science Forums

My Idea Of How Apes Turned Into Humans

On 7/27/2020 at 12:40 PM, gravitymall said:

I think social cooperation is key. High intelligence seems like a sure fire thing for evolution to select for, yet we're the only ones. Our babies are some of the most fragile when they're born, yet they're able to develop because of humans socially cooperating on a larger scale than any other animal.

That seems not quite accurate. Bonobos are extremely social and probably the most peaceful of the great apes. This probably stems from the fact that Bonobos have a matriarchal society. The females are the dominant gender. Visiting Bonobo travelers are welcomed in the tribe and food and females shared for bonding .

One of the scientists studying the Bonobos remarked that in a Bonobo camp you can go to sleep and be assured you will never be attacked by a member of the tribe during the night.

An excellent example of freely sharing  food is found in this little clip. The ape with the food actually unlocking the door to share the food with the hungry visitor.

Bonobo cooperation is remarkable. In a test of solving problems which required cooperation between several members, the Bonobos immediately set to try and solve the problems where the Common Chimps quibbled for dominance and possession.

They are eager to learn and can adapt to symbolic language if taught early enough.

Edited by write4u
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think social cooperation is key. High intelligence seems like a sure fire thing for evolution to select for, yet we're the only ones. Our babies are some of the most fragile when they're born, yet t

IF we are apes (we are, you are right), then obviously we did not evolve from apes.. as your diagram clearly shows..   as I said, humans and the great apes (including humans) have common ancestors, th

Not dumb, thankyou, it is all about your very poor use of correct terminology, and loose use of terms and definitions, you said 'humans are apes and evolved from apes'.   That is incorrect, our common

Posted Images

Yep, and graphed out it looks like this. See that line with the question mark coming down from Sahelanthropus tchadensis, Ardipithicus  to a three way split that includes Orrorin? That's the line I put Sasquatches on. But some say it should be a line that parallels Paranthropus because of bipedalism. But I disagree with that thinking because of what I think Sasquatch really is: A bipedal ape with an ap brain, and yes, maybe even the unfused chromosome 2 of the Great Apes. So everything after Panini leads to Humans but I propose a dedicated Sasquatch line right after Panini. If Sahelanthropus or Ardipithucus is out Last Common Ancestor (unlikely) then it could be the LCA of both the Human  and the Sasquatch (Another Great Ape) lines.

Cladogram.thumb.jpg.8be468cfde184367119d7768f7f374ea.jpg

I would like to add that after 7 million years Chimps are still Chimps and Sasquatches, SHOULD THEY EVEN EXIST AT ALL, are still Sasquatches. However the Homo line, in spite of it sometimes concurrent population branches, advanced to us. It just makes me wonder if the Chimp DNA that primatologist found in Kentucky was Chimp DNA because Sasquatches have more of it than we do. Talk about a science mystery!

BUT! Here's the kicker: If these things are real then there's just no way someone hasn't known about it all this time- especially in this modern surveillance age. It's worrisome to think what that might mean.

Edited by Evolute

Seems that Sasquatch was a hominid but not human. The timeline shows that Sasquatch appeared several million years before the fusion of chromosome 2 which split Homo Sapiens and Neaderthals from all other hominids and is peculiar only to humans.

Origin of human chromosome 2: An ancestral telomere-telomere fusion

Similarities in chromosome banding patterns and hybridization homologies between ape and human chromosomes suggest that human chromosome 2 arose out of the fusion of two ancestral ape chromosomes (1-3). Molecular data show evidence that this event must have occurred only a few million years ago

https://www.pnas.org/content/pnas/88/20/9051.full.pdf

9 hours ago, write4u said:

The timeline shows that Sasquatch appeared several million years before the fusion of chromosome 2 which split Homo Sapiens and Neaderthals from all other hominids and is peculiar only to humans.

Yes, and also this: https://www.hhmi.org/news/meet-three-new-genes-may-have-influenced-human-brain-size and also this: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6092419/ but keep in mind that it isn't just brain size, it the amount of neuronal development in the neocortex. That's what underlies the production of more progenitors both in the womb and in the years after Human birth. All Human neuronal cell growth doesn't happen during fetal development because, if it did, a newborn's head wouldn't pass through the birth canal. So a lot of neuronal development within the neocortex, and subsequent increases in brain size, happens after birth.

It's just all been so fascinating to study this Human dynamic.   

Edited by Evolute
On 3/15/2021 at 8:09 AM, Evolute said:

It's just all been so fascinating to study this Human dynamic.

Yes, indeed.

I suspect that the brain, instead of increasing in size, evolved more efficient folding thereby increasing the volume of its neural surface area.

An interesting example of increasing surface area may be found in simple clay, which has the largest surface area than any other substance. 1 cm^3 of clay can coat the surface of an entire tennis court. This is what makes it an ideal candidate for mineralogical chemistry.

A wonderful lecture by Robert Hazen (mineralogist) on the evolution of life itself. 

Start viewing @ 12:00 to avoid a lengthy introduction.

Edited by write4u