Science Forums

So, The Mind Uploaded Is Going To What?

I have been a proponent of Kurzweil's for awhile, but only recently have I been making some strict statements to myself, but sometimes it changes, just to be honest. I really don't know, but I want to give my idea. It certainly shocks me to some degree. In all reality, I have even emailed the government in relation to this. I did so because the magnitude coming from me on this one is pretty big.

So, they say that by 2045, we will be uploading our minds into computers? Sure, it sounds cool, but I am not exactly buying it anymore, and here is why. Say people start doing this, what does it mean for our everyday experience? It means that we are going to get bothered, woken up, our cellphone homescreen rattled, at 3am by fully animated beings. It doesn't sound all too realistic. Thus, I wonder what is in the minds of these technologists with such grandiose ideas. Is this something we should be spending/wasting our time on? That goes for the whole industry who has been taking us on this extreme ride to just 'potentials' of extreme *** ****. I used to like this stuff, but these days I am a bit iffy if any of this is even going to be like how they say it will be.

I would email around, and ask everyone, what is up?

In my opinion, when people think of uploading our minds, they think that some fanciful comptroller guy is going to be the processor of all 'mind upload private results'. I am not buying that either. If this does at all become a reality, my opinion is that that data has private thought information that most likely will be seen by many others.

Please respond with your ideas.

Edited by Mpossum

It is probably a dream on situation. I am 32, and I grew up throughout my twenties, even early twenties, becoming interested in this type of post modern, futurist thinking. Nowadays, it seems more true that maybe these people are just seriously not on the right lane of thinking.

I grew up thinking that. I followed TED, and Kurzweil, and Kaku, and all that, and I was in a daze. The more I learned, however, I found that this might all be a joke. But, I definitely am the type to continue searching for answers. Right now, A.I is not something that I take too seriously. Connectomes; I wonder how all that is going to work. I see them trying this, and then having a bunch of raw neural data and not really knowing what to do with it.

• 1 month later...

I have been a proponent of Kurzweil's for awhile, but only recently have I been making some strict statements to myself, but sometimes it changes, just to be honest. I really don't know, but I want to give my idea. It certainly shocks me to some degree. In all reality, I have even emailed the government in relation to this. I did so because the magnitude coming from me on this one is pretty big.

So, they say that by 2045, we will be uploading our minds into computers? Sure, it sounds cool, but I am not exactly buying it anymore, and here is why. Say people start doing this, what does it mean for our everyday experience? It means that we are going to get bothered, woken up, our cellphone homescreen rattled, at 3am by fully animated beings. It doesn't sound all too realistic. Thus, I wonder what is in the minds of these technologists with such grandiose ideas. Is this something we should be spending/wasting our time on? That goes for the whole industry who has been taking us on this extreme ride to just 'potentials' of extreme *** ****. I used to like this stuff, but these days I am a bit iffy if any of this is even going to be like how they say it will be.

In my opinion, when people think of uploading our minds, they think that some fanciful comptroller guy is going to be the processor of all 'mind upload private results'. I am not buying that either. If this does at all become a reality, my opinion is that that data has private thought information that most likely will be seen by many others.

I used to argue with a doctor who felt the world was going to pot (and he did not mean the little green plant).  I would tell him those of the sixties had straightened up and done great things.  So would those with these new ideas.  He would say "Not this time; it is too late.". I have now come to  agree with him.  This notion of turning ourselves into computer-controlled robots scares me.  All I can say is thank goodness I will not be here in 2045.  Pray that - as in Orwell's "1984" -  you have a few renegades.

The human mind/brain/central nervous system and a model digital computer system are very similar, in almost NO respects at all.

They don't function anything like each other, sure humans can do what a computer can do, and EVERYTHING a computer can do, because we designed and programmed the computers, and we can do math and process sequences of operations.

But a computer can do almost nothing that a human can do, we can do everything a computer can do, but a computer can do almost nothing a human can do.

The difference is NOT EVEN CLOSE, not even the same basic concepts are the same, for example the computer has no idea or concept of time, for a computer there is no such thing as past or future, or the passage of time. It's just not a thing.

A digital computer is a state machine, which is a collection of switches that on each clock cycle configure into a state, so there is no idea of a goal or a task. You wake up from nowhere with no idea of 'before', you have 1 task you have to do, that to you is meaningless, like 'turn on the switch on the wall'.

So you turn on the switch and you cease to exist, then you (or someone else) suddenly exists for an instant and you have 1 thing you have to do, you have no idea if you have even done that task before, or why, or what it does.

There is no goal, and no thing you are trying to achieve, there is no past or future and certainly no understanding.

The brain works completely differently, the closest I can think of would be an analogue computer that is self configurable and self programmable and is the product and result of nature itself.

Analogue computers do take into consideration and grasp the passage of time, it uses the past events and works differently that a digital computer.

A good example of an analogue computer is a naval gunnery fire control computer, that take in all the information about the position and speed of the ship, weather conditions, radar inputs, and all sorts of other inputs and continuously processes that information. 

You don't program an analogue computer, or more accurately you 'program' it by design, the 'hardware' and 'software' are one. It's continuously processing, it does not have an internal clock and it does not 'wake up' and do a single task and stop.

An analogue computer is continuously 'awake' and it takes continuous inputs over time (a digital computer takes information of space not time! a memory location is space separated not time separated, but that's another story (about reversing space and time in our universe!))

The brain/mind is a 'programmable' and configurable analogue computer that is 'programmed' by evolution.

Your 'mind' is a real time ongoing and continuous 'simulation' of REALITY, it is it is processing all the time (unlike a digital computer that processes in discrete time), and the analogue computer processes IN TIME.

The mind (your internal world view), is this simulation of the real world and it is continuously processing 'what if' conditions and assessing outcomes and probably doing things like Monti Carlo analysis on 'things', different scenarios or whatever. (your thoughts).

These idea's and thoughts that your brain is processing all the time is generally a mirror of reality (mostly that is!!!). 

MIND UPLOAD

For the above reasons I do not think things like mind uploads, or really at all useful neural links will ever happen, the systems, the brain and a computer are too vastly different in basic operation, we can already do everything a computer can do, but a computer can do almost nothing a brain can do (even the simplest brains). 

Also, for the same reasons, true AI or real computer intelligence will never exist, you cannot design or build a real brain/mind, so any apparent intelligence from a computer is the same as an actor on a stage, imitating the intelligence of the person who built and designed it.

The human mind is the product of hundreds of millions of years in it's development, and it was designed and configured and programmed by nature. 

It is not possible for an engineer to do that, it is also not possible to have any meaningful connection between the brain/mind and a computer, and almost nothing to gain either, a computers IQ is ZERO. It will always be zero.

Now I will go back to reversing time and space, where space flows and time is a position! (like how a digital computer works!)

A Mechanical/and or Electronic thing , will never understand a biological form , from the experience of being a biological entity . Because neither is a living being .