Science Forums

Household Cleaning Practices - Is There An Authoritative Source For Best Practice?

Wannabelifeguard

Hi team,

Definitions

Cleaning: removal of direct, grime, and dust.

Disinfectant: removal of surface microbes.

Article

http://ww1.prweb.com/prfiles/2015/02/16/12537302/Zabada_LitReview_UWA_20130521-1.pdf

So I just came across a literature review article about cleaning products and it discussed a bunch of research that demonstrates that microfibre cloth and water is better for cleaning than using cleaning products and cloth or even cleaning products and microfibre together.

The reason water and microfibre appears to be better than cleaning products and microfibre is because the cleaning products did not do more to remove dirt/grime/dust than the microfibre cloth alone, and it damaged the microfibre, reducing its effectiveness over time. The other issue was that the cleaning products caused indoor air pollution.

I was fascinated and looked for further review articles, which seemed to have some contradictory information.

So I am left wondering whether I should abandon the use of cleaning products and stick to just using microfibre cloths and water or whether the research I have read was low quality or bias. This is not my area of expertise so I am not in a position to assess the quality of the article. 

I was wondering if there is some organisation, anywhere in the world, that takes it upon itself to take the research on household hygiene and put it into guidelines for an "Evidence Based" clean home.

EDIT 1: to clarify, I am specifically looking for an authoritative source of information. Obviously there are plenty of home help websites out there that have tips on cleaning your home, but I am interesting in cleaning tips based off evidence, rather than experience. 

Edited by Wannabelifeguard

• 2 weeks later...