Science Forums

Us Flexs Muscles At Beijing With Massive Navy Exercises

https://news.antiwar.com/2020/07/05/us-flexes-muscles-at-beijing-with-massive-navy-exercises/

The real strength in US naval exercises is in the aircraft carriers and so that raises some interesting questions for military strategists and kids who suppose they are.

1. Could China sink any aircraft carrier that was within 100 miles of it's shores?

2. Would this be China's strategy to ensure it has the missiles ready so it could?

3. And finally, are the days of big ships over? Are they obsolete?

Maybe it becomes a question of whether the US or any aggressor nation that has a powerful military would even have to rely on a navy? (leaving out submarines if the war goes nuclear)

In my opinion, US aircraft carriers will continue to serve a very useful purpose for the invasion of small countries with no nuclear deterring threat. However, not forgetting the possibility that nearly all small countries are going to soon be under the wings of the major nuclear powers, as is the Israel and Syria examples.

Armchair warriors, your opinions?

Edited by montgomery

Flummoxed,  I think that most of your scenarios are too 'over the top' to be realistic, but I wouldn't scoff at your idea of Trump trying to divert attention. And I don't think that China would prefer Biden as the president over Trump. 

What are you talking about when you mention low profile radar?

I like the Chinese assisting a very embarrassed US navy of a reef scenarion :)

If you check previous US elections you find a correlation between, picking fights before elections and improved electoral ratings. The scenario that Trump is trying to improve his ratings and divert attention from covid-19 is valid. 

Stealth ships https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stealth_ship

Yeah, that's valid, and there's always a good chance of them sticking one of their ships on a reef.