Science Forums

Man Over Board - Some Injured, Some Die, Some Are Fine. Why?

Hi guys,

So I was watching a documentary on Cruise ships and it was talking about how if you fall off a cruise ship it is likely that you will die on impact. But there are stories of people falling off and being perfectly find, while others have been seriously injured but still survived.

So it got me wondering, other than the obvious issue of height, what factors need to be taken in to account when predicting the likelihood of survival when a passenger falls off a cruise ship.

My assumption is that if a person can put themselves in a position where they go in feet first and their arms are crossed over their chest, this will maximise the chance of survival - or could it guarantee survival?

Is there a way to enter the water from any height that would result in minimal or no damage (diving for instance). I genuinely don't know, it just seems like some people can dive from insane height and in makes me wonder if it is all about technique or if it is simply that they are jumping from the highest height possible and physics (rather than fear and the expense of building a taller diving board) is preventing them from jumping from a higher point.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Hi guys,

So I was watching a documentary on Cruise ships and it was talking about how if you fall off a cruise ship it is likely that you will die on impact. But there are stories of people falling off and being perfectly find, while others have been seriously injured but still survived.

So it got me wondering, other than the obvious issue of height, what factors need to be taken in to account when predicting the likelihood of survival when a passenger falls off a cruise ship.

My assumption is that if a person can put themselves in a position where they go in feet first and their arms are crossed over their chest, this will maximise the chance of survival - or could it guarantee survival?

Is there a way to enter the water from any height that would result in minimal or no damage (diving for instance). I genuinely don't know, it just seems like some people can dive from insane height and in makes me wonder if it is all about technique or if it is simply that they are jumping from the highest height possible and physics (rather than fear and the expense of building a taller diving board) is preventing them from jumping from a higher point.

Appreciate your thoughts.

It depends on the orientation that you fall some areas of the body are stronger against impact than others. 

• 2 weeks later...