Science Forums

Uv Light Resistance Bacteria Experiment?

wtoo

I have a science fair (first one I’m going to) for school and I need to come up with an experiment.

1. Mark agar plate in 2 halves. Swab agar plate with E. Coli bacteria. Rotate and swab 2 more times.

2.Use an index card and cover half of the plate.

3. Place under uv lights for 30 seconds.

4. Incubate overnight.

5. Check the next day for any remaining bacteria colonies

6.Use cotton swab and swab one colony of bacteria over another half of a new agar plate.

7. Repeat all previous steps 5 times.

This is just a rough draft if a procedure but do you guys think this will be any good or show any success at all?

I’m in 8th grade btw.

I have a science fair (first one I’m going to) for school and I need to come up with an experiment.

1. Mark agar plate in 2 halves. Swab agar plate with E. Coli bacteria. Rotate and swab 2 more times.

2.Use an index card and cover half of the plate.

3. Place under uv lights for 30 seconds.

4. Incubate overnight.

5. Check the next day for any remaining bacteria colonies

6.Use cotton swab and swab one colony of bacteria over another half of a new agar plate.

7. Repeat all previous steps 5 times.

This is just a rough draft if a procedure but do you guys think this will be any good or show any success at all?

I’m in 8th grade btw.

You may need to expose the bacteria longer for them to evolve try doing it in cycles of like 12 hours under UV light, though UV light is a known mutagen, the UV light will cause genetic disruption to a minor degree within the bacteria, you could probably do your project about mutation when the bacteria is exposed to UV light, though I doubt actual "resistance" to the UV light will happen. If you were to use Gel electrophoresis that  sequences the DNA of the bacteria you could show genetic mutation within the bacteria by showing the difference in DNA between that bacteria and E.coli that is unexposed to UV light.

Edited by VictorMedvil