Science Forums

Fine Structure Constant

Timboo

No I am not playing games, you ask questions, I give you the responses I think appropriate.

You said you are giving answers you feel appropriate

And other comments have said otherwise

And also you have never explained the answers to the previous comments you made

Edited by Timboo

That is simply because I do not have all the answers... Look, it is true there are no stupid questions, but you are implying my answers are stupid or incoherent. Science doesn't know all the answers but I can assure you, from what I know at least, our universe has a long lifetime yet before it quantum leaps back into a radiation vapor... For instance, it can take anything up to 10^80 yearsbfor some of the largest black holes to evaporate, ironically a number close to the amount of atoms in the Universe multiplied by 3, give or take a few powers of ten. Unless these questions are about Higgs Bosons, then I do not believe in particles with no spin because there is always motion, even in the ground state of those fields. The belief system still is that a Higgs would indicate a decay of the universe, but we may just not be understanding this decay or what it means, or whether or not the Higgs Boson is even of the standard case.

That is simply because I do not have all the answers... Look, it is true there are no stupid questions, but you are implying my answers are stupid or incoherent. Science doesn't know all the answers but I can assure you, from what I know at least, our universe has a long lifetime yet before it quantum leaps back into a radiation vapor... For instance, it can take anything up to 10^80 yearsbfor some of the largest black holes to evaporate, ironically a number close to the amount of atoms in the Universe multiplied by 3, give or take a few powers of ten. Unless these questions are about Higgs Bosons, then I do not believe in particles with no spin because there is always motion, even in the ground state of those fields. The belief system still is that a Higgs would indicate a decay of the universe, but we may just not be understanding this decay or what it means, or whether or not the Higgs Boson is even of the standard case.

I did mean vacuum decay due to Higgs they found Higgs si does that mean decay then? Also the higgs has always existed

Yes the Higgs boson is non standard and it doesn't have a zero spin, that would mean an absolute zero temperature case where there is no motion. The Higgs is just a minimal fluctuation of a Goldstone Boson which was capable of giving extra energy to mass. I do not believe it will decay, or at least any time soon.

Never heard of Goldstone Boson , and what makes you think it would not decay anytime soon?

And don’t all particles decay I believe higgs is 10 -22

Which is short

Quantum mechanics predicts that if it is possible for a particle to decay into a set of lighter particles, then it will eventually do so.[162] This is also true for the Higgs boson. The likelihood with which this happens depends on a variety of factors including: the difference in mass, the strength of the interactions, etc. Most of these factors are fixed by the Standard Model, except for the mass of the Higgs boson itself. For a Higgs boson with a mass of 125 GeV/c2 the SM predicts a mean life time of about 1.6×10−22 s.

The Standard Model prediction for the branching ratios of the different decay modes of the Higgs particle depends on the value of its mass.

Since it interacts with all the massive elementary particles of the SM, the Higgs boson has many different processes through which it can decay. Each of these possible processes has its own probability, expressed as the branching ratio; the fraction of the total number decays that follows that process. The SM predicts these branching ratios as a function of the Higgs mass (see plot).

One way that the Higgs can decay is by splitting into a fermion–antifermion pair. As general rule, the Higgs is more likely to decay into heavy fermions than light fermions, because the mass of a fermion is proportional to the strength of its interaction with the Higgs.[120] By this logic the most common decay should be into a top–antitop quark pair. However, such a decay would only be possible if the Higgs were heavier than ~346 GeV/c2, twice the mass of the top quark. For a Higgs mass of 125 GeV/c2 the SM predicts that the most common decay is into a bottom–antibottom quark pair, which happens 57.7% of the time.[3] The second most common fermion decay at that mass is a tau–antitau pair, which happens only about 6.3% of the time.[3]

Another possibility is for the Higgs to split into a pair of massive gauge bosons. The most likely possibility is for the Higgs to decay into a pair of W bosons (the light blue line in the plot), which happens about 21.5% of the time for a Higgs boson with a mass of 125 GeV/c2.[3] The W bosons can subsequently decay either into a quark and an antiquark or into a charged lepton and a neutrino. The decays of W bosons into quarks are difficult to distinguish from the background, and the decays into leptons cannot be fully reconstructed (because neutrinos are impossible to detect in particle collision experiments). A cleaner signal is given by decay into a pair of Z-bosons (which happens about 2.6% of the time for a Higgs with a mass of 125 GeV/c2),[3] if each of the bosons subsequently decays into a pair of easy-to-detect charged leptons (electrons or muons).

Decay into massless gauge bosons (i.e., gluons or photons) is also possible, but requires intermediate loop of virtual heavy quarks (top or bottom) or massive gauge bosons.[120] The most common such process is the decay into a pair of gluons through a loop of virtual heavy quarks. This process, which is the reverse of the gluon fusion process mentioned above, happens approximately 8.6% of the time for a Higgs boson with a mass of 125 GeV/c2.[3] Much rarer is the decay into a pair of photons mediated by a loop of W bosons or heavy quarks, which happens only twice for every thousand decays.[3] However, this process is very relevant for experimental searches for the Higgs boson, because the energy and momentum of the photons can be measured very precisely, giving an accurate reconstruction of the mass of the decaying particle.[120]

Edited by Timboo

Yes particles decay, the Higgs can decay, but this doesn't mean these particles do not exist, nor does it really mean that it will to a vacuum decay.

Not sure exactly what you mean

Does the Higgs not decay at 1.6 x 10 -22 is that short?

Edited by Timboo

Not sure exactly what you mean

Does the Higgs not decay at 1.6 x 10 -22 is that short?

Yes it is very short, but the decay of a Higgs is just about adding energy to the surrounding environment, from a ground state, to an observable (Hermitian state) that includes a mass term. This is why the Goldstone Boson is a type of Higgs Boson, but the confusion on the subject has led to crazy ideas that it will be responsible for a vacuum decay...

You're sorry for not grasping what was meant, or are you sorry for still not grasping what is being said? Personally I am just sorry I cannot articulate this in a way that you can make sense of what it means for a vacuum to quantum leap/decay.

I am trying but I grasp you feel your stating this is possible soon

Edited by Timboo

You're sorry for not grasping what was meant, or are you sorry for still not grasping what is being said? Personally I am just sorry I cannot articulate this in a way that you can make sense of what it means for a vacuum to quantum leap/decay.

Check this out

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/dailygalaxy.com/2020/02/a-quirk-in-the-cosmos-alpha-factor-has-profound-implications-for-physics-and-life-weekend-feature/amp/