Science Forums

Fine Structure Constant

Timboo

No... I haven't. You asked questions and I am clarifying the best I can.

Timboo, on 18 Feb 2020 - 10:58 AM, said:

So it is possible then in our lifetime this can cause vacuum decay? If the dead galaxy that was found not long ago was caused by a change in the fine structure constant then vacuum decay could be on its way?

Maybe, but it would also mean that acceleration of galaxies in distant sources tell us about the expansion in the past, so it may be that we can only trust the local acceleration of galaxies.

So it is possible then in our lifetime this can cause vacuum decay? If the dead galaxy that was found not long ago was caused by a change in the fine structure constant then vacuum decay could be on its way?

Maybe, but it would also mean that acceleration of galaxies in distant sources tell us about the expansion in the past, so it may be that we can only trust the local acceleration of galaxies.

Yes it's possible, but would you like to really see such days?

Yes it's possible, but would you like to really see such days?

In your profession as a scientist what are your real thoughts on vacuum decay, the comments you have made seem to think it is possible in our current state of the universe?

Do you think what we see in galaxies further is different than closer one?

decay would be a quantum leap from one configuration to another. Whether it is reversible is another issue

Edited by Timboo

No I am saying we cannot trust distant light signals to tell us the acceleration of the present day... Why? Simply because distant signals tell us about the past, these are the first principles of relativity wedded into cosmology.

So basically the truth is vacuum decay is highly possible in our lifetime then,

I am assuming you are a scientist

Edited by Timboo

Not in our life times, not unless you plan on coming back lol

So you changed again what you said before then?

So it is possible then in our lifetime this can cause vacuum decay?

Yes, but the decay would be a quantum leap from one configuration to another. Whether it is reversible is another issue

Like This

Timboo's PhotoTimboo

So it is possible then in our lifetime this can cause vacuum decay?

Yes, but the decay would be a quantum leap from one configuration to another. Whether it is reversible is another issue.

Edited by Timboo