Science Forums

Is Spin Entanglement Affected By Curvature In Spacetime ?

As I understand it, when a particle/anti-particle pair is created they must have opposite spins in order to conserve angular momentum.  In experiments it has been shown that when the spin of one of the pair is measured, the spin aligns itself with the direction of the measurement and will always be 'up' or 'down'.  If the spin of the other particle is measured then it will be anti-correlated with its partner's direction even when the measurements are separated by great distances.

My question concerns what happens if the experiment is done in curved spacetime.  Will the the measured spin direction of the second measurement be opposite to the measured direction of spin of the first measurement, or will it be rotated fractionally by the curvature in spacetime ?  Can this even be tested experimentally ?  The spacetime on Earth is curved by the Earth's mass, but very little.  Are experiments sufficiently accurate to distinguish the outcomes ?

• 2 weeks later...

Would this entanglement include non locality, and an additional long range force perhaps  :wink:

Does anyone have an opinion on how the lifetime of virtual particles appearing in the vacuum of space at near absolute zero, away from other particles, would last as compared to those appearing near other particles.?

I would say a non local hidden variable theory is the best approach. It was even devised before we knew as much as we did today. As for virtual particles, it has been argued they may not exist long enough to have much physical effects in the Universe.

Are you now buying into Emergent gravity ?

For particles to remain entangled, they are normally cooled to near absolute zero. Virtual particle pairs appearing momentarily at near absolute zero would be in an environment which could encouragement.

I did always say to you, that emergent theories could hold merit. The problem is trying to break the way the consensus thinks about such things. However, a pilot theory needs no emergence to explain things, a pilot theory like a non local hidden variable theory is entirely determinable from the wave function. Even in classical mechanics, the evolution of a wave function was entirely deterministic. I do not believe in spooky things in the Universe.