Science Forums

I Vow Never To Play Chess Again

OverUnityDeviceUAP

Reads like you need to develop the ability to plan more than 2 steps into the future. Chess is all about being able to know the move branches currently possible and having either ready-memorized counter moves or on the fly planning. If you're really bad at either of those things chess IS a good way to get better. There's a few computer chess games that show fancy glowing hilites when you hover over pieces, developing a mental board image and emulating that sort of thing helps a lot with understanding threat points and control areas, which is the first step to being able to actually control the board.

You'd prob flip the table at Go if basic chess makes you mad. Still Go would help you develop strategic thinking.

I only play on the official USCF board so my rating is legit, I can go through 50-70 games a day against similarly rated players which is a crap shoot due to variations in strategy.

Unlike the Hulk the angrier I get the more games I lose, and the more games I lose the angrier I get.

Up until now I was mainly doing it to stimulate brain activity in ways only math can (it's better than reading books). However, when I considered getting in the 2700s for money I took these matches more seriously and that's when my rating dropped.

I know I have a Class D rating, and even before now I couldn't hold anything higher than Novice sp while there's some improvement my improvement should be a lot better. I have once beaten 1700 rated players, I have seen an 1800 rated player beat a level 10 chess engine and Magnus Carlson who isn't even in the top 100 play 10 games with his back turned off memory.

There is a blindfold option on chess.com, I'm considering going into my lower rated account and playing blindfold and using a level 10 chess engine for practice once I get to Class C.

Edited by OverUnityDeviceUAP

So the best strategy is to set up the board in the opening game to lead to a middle game where problem solving has to be as complex as possible by choking tue board of options so the opponent has no obvious offensive route to take.

I've just been using Ruy Lopez opening as white, as black when they do the queen's pawn opening I go modern defense opening. And just like clockwork, by castling in as few moves as possible and getting my pieces defended dispersed I take the best strategy automatically.

Issue lately is fatigue I'm actually closer to a 1700 rating but I dont want spend months not playing 50-70 games a day getting to 1700, a combination of fatigue in by the middle game and lapses in attention having to keep my phone charged or daily distractions has kept me as an alleged class d rated player

Edited by OverUnityDeviceUAP

ya I stopped playing chess when one time I lost to like a 13 year old, This 13 year old was like a master at chess and I was beaten by this little kid and I gave up chess afterward. I went for the Prussian Chess stance and he killed my rook, I knew I was screwed after that, I had to man up to being beaten by a 13 year old.

Edited by VictorMedvil

ya I stopped playing chess when one time I lost to like a 13 year old, This 13 year old was like a master at chess and I was beaten by this little kid and I gave up chess afterward. I went for the Prussian Chess stance and he killed my rook, I knew I was screwed after that, I had to man up to being beaten by a 13 year old.

Finally! Someone who understands.