Science Forums

Question For Anyone That Has/had A Us Security Clearance

randomsoldier1337

What is the point of withdrawing from a check while receiving clearance if one has committed a heinous crime?

From what I have discussed with some friends, once someone is denied, they are blacklisted from clearances. Someone in such a situation, would they have anything to lose whether they withdrew or not? Just morbidly curious.

What is the point of withdrawing from a check while receiving clearance if one has committed a heinous crime?

From what I have discussed with some friends, once someone is denied, they are blacklisted from clearances. Someone in such a situation, would they have anything to lose whether they withdrew or not? Just morbidly curious.

Probably a bit like lie detector tests. While they are not admissible in court refusing to undertake a lie detector test is worse than a bad result.

Probably a bit like lie detector tests. While they are not admissible in court refusing to undertake a lie detector test is worse than a bad result.

Then why not just tell the truth? So far it sounds like there is nothing to lose. Can't (presumeably) clear the check, can't apply for the job. Apply and let the authorities decide. If you don't get it, the situation remains the same as when you couldn't apply. The problem comes in the fact that if there is or isn't a time limit on someone being able to speak of said crime. Even if they did their time, reformed and it was all at least a decade ago, would there still be some crime that is an obvious automatic blacklist regardless of time and reformations?

You will be prosecuted for providing false information and get prison time. 

http://www.mondaq.com/unitedstates/x/317704/White+Collar+Crime+Fraud/DOJ+Shifts+Stance+on+False+Statements+Prosecutions

filling the application for a US visa you are asked things like are you or any member of your family a drug dealer, terrorist, intending to commit a crime etc. If you give an incorrect answer they can prosecute apparently. I had an interview whereby the only things I know they checked was I am white, english speaking, and my picture matched my passport.   

The US visa application takes about a half a day to fill in, and is mostly amusing. When I arrived in the states via a port I had to spend time trying to find immigration officials to clear me in. I could easily have entered illegally. 

I don't know why anyone would say yes to those. Someone innocent clearly wouldn't. Someone whose livelihood is being a low life also wouldn't since that's how they get their dough.

However, I was speaking more of formalities you have to go through when applying for special US government STEM projects. Something that could severely affect the state if they let the wrong person in on it.

You're the one asking the question and ignoring the answers.

The lie detector test is used by employers to reject applicants who have something to hide so being rejected means 'you lose'.

My point was to ask, within the context I have given, does one stand to lose anything by telling the truth? I understand well enough that lying and not answering the question fully would be a disqualification.

As a student I worked for the atomic energy authority, the UK police did check my references and that my family were not criminals or druggies. Luckily they didnt check my friends. 

Ah well. I can't say I know much about that let alone the US checks.

Cant people learn how to beat lie detectors. 

There is some speculation that the it's not the lie detectors but the act. It's not like the devices can read your mind. Though your vitals in response to a certain question are a good indicator as well as how you respond, not just the response. Of course, if what I posit is true, it brings to question whether someone has actually said what the questioning party was looking for since one could have spoken the truth. It may just have been that it was very awkward for them to answer so it didn't come out right and their vitals were all over the place, so it may seem like they were lying. Just my thought on it.