Science Forums

EXACTLY how many seconds are there in a year ???

dreamworld

And I mean PRECISELY !!!! I know the calculation 60 * 60 * 24 * 365.25 but I was looking for a scientifically accurate answer as to exactly how many seconds it takes the earth to make one orbit of the sun, and not something filtered through an inacurate time calander. Any answers gratefully received ......

• 2 weeks later...

Definition of a year:

vernal equinox to vernal equinox (apparent)

also astronomical year

natural year

equinoctial year

solar year

tropical year

365 days, 5 hours, 48 minutes, 46 seconds

fixed star to same position (apparent)

also sidereal year

365 days, 6 hours, 9 minutes, 9 seconds

Sources you might be able to verify:

Hewlett-Packard 28S calculator: 31556925.9747 seconds/year

Google calculator: 31556926 seconds/year

Trivia:

Because of the difference in time between a sidereal and a solar year, nobody that is alive today was really born under the zodiac sign that they are given. For example, Aries isn’t behind the Sun between March 21st and April 21st.

Originally posted by: jughead

Definition of a year:

vernal equinox to vernal equinox (apparent)

also astronomical year

natural year

equinoctial year

solar year

tropical year

365 days, 5 hours, 48 minutes, 46 seconds

You are a star !!!! (excuse the pun)

Just to clarify - the above is the exact time for all 5 of those years ?

It is the correct value to the nearest second. It's not exact. There is precision involved.

Here is a link so that you can verify the time interval:

Columbia Encyclopedia: tropical year

Here is a link that shows four of the five names that I gave as being the same thing (the other one also refers to the same thing):

Definition of a year

Here is the most precise value for a solar year that I know of: 31,556,925.97474 seconds.

Add 1223 seconds for a sidereal year.

• 4 weeks later...

Again - thanks for the links. If I wanted to work out how long it took the exact centre of the earth to do one complete an orbit, would taking an average of the sideral and solar years accomplish this ? Also , and this may seem like a bit of a quack question, is there a mathematical relationship between the time it takes the earth to orbit the sun and the time it takes other planets to orbit the sun ? Also theoretically would it be possible to invent a more accurate calender based on what we know now ? Perhaps the values and quantities of seconds minutes and hours could also be reassesed ? Just some vague musings.

• 3 weeks later...