Science Forums

Removing Plaque

hazelm

Scientists at Penn State have developed catalytic antimicrobial robots that can remove dental plaque from a tooth -- and a lot of other encrusted things.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/04/190425104323.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sciencedaily%2Ftop_news%2Ftop_science+%28ScienceDaily%3A+Top+Science+News%29

Just so it doesn't go down the windpipe.  :-)

I see momentarily before I forget, brushing the teeth staves off Alzheimers disease. I must try and remember this. I must try and remember what the thread is about. I cant remember what I am trying to remember, but I think I need to brush my teeth. 

I wonder if Alzheimers was more prevalent before tooth paste and tooth brushes came into existence. 

Catalytic antimicrobial robots CARs

These “kill-degrade-and-remove” CARs systems may fight persistent biofilm infections and mitigate biofouling of medical devices and diverse surfaces.

The operative word above is "MAY:, which might be translated as "might not", or brexit . Are they looking into using Robots to remove your teeth, like the terminator, go ahead remove my teeth, or maybe that was right turn Clyde, any which way but lose (teeth)

Sorry for replying I was bored

All Science Daily reports are in the process of becoming facts.   I liked the one about brushing preventing alzheimers.  I have a different theory about preventing alzheimers.   

Seriouly, though.  What are the chances of swallowing that stuff?  Or inhaling it?  Remember when they warned us to stop covering our chests in Vicks because of the damage it does in the lungs?  Be careful what you inhale.

PS   How do you like that new word "biofouling"?  :-)

Edited by hazelm

Alzheimers must be setting in already, I have no recollection of Vicks causing damage to the lungs. It might adversely affect some babies, I quick google flashed up one problem caused by an idiot parent stuffing vick up a babies nose.

Biofouling on the teeth, Biofouling is something boats get isnt it. Which we alleviate with anti fouling. I wonder if someone is going to develop a non toxic enviromentely friendly antifouling for the teeth. :(

I don't know what is being said today but we used to be warned not to spread on the Vicks because breathing in the fumes was hard on the lungs. 

Considering the inane chattering of the last dental hygienist that I had,  I think I'll try the new robots.  Still - remind me that those robots will put a lot of good people out of jobs.  Same old same old.

• 4 weeks later...

Woo, another usage for Micro-machines and Nano-machines........ cleaning teeth soon the dentist will be out of a job or have a easier one. I never imagined they would be used for such somewhat trivial usages.

Had a comment but decided to keep my mouth shut - both here and at a dentistry.  :-)

Alzheimers must be setting in already, I have no recollection of Vicks causing damage to the lungs. It might adversely affect some babies, I quick google flashed up one problem caused by an idiot parent stuffing vick up a babies nose.

Biofouling on the teeth, Biofouling is something boats get isnt it. Which we alleviate with anti fouling. I wonder if someone is going to develop a non toxic enviromentely friendly antifouling for the teeth. :(

I am looking forward to getting a set of stainless steel chompers.  The nickel in the stainless is anti-microbial.

article-2751414-214195AD00000578-287_634