Science Forums

College?

OpenMind5

OK...I know this may seem a lil weird for a medical area...but thats what this is about.

If you don't know already...(i never fail to mention my dreams) I want to become a Cosmetic surgeon.

I was curious if anyone knew the process of how to Get There...liek # of years of college and ect...Plus I wanted some input on college ideas.

Op5

OK...I know this may seem a lil weird for a medical area...but thats what this is about.

If you don't know already...(i never fail to mention my dreams) I want to become a Cosmetic surgeon.

I was curious if anyone knew the process of how to Get There...liek # of years of college and ect...Plus I wanted some input on college ideas.

Op5

Depends on where you want to practice. If you are in the states, 4 years of undergrad, followed by 4 of Medschool, then a 3 year general surgical residency, then a 2 year plastic surgical residency. You can cut down on the time by doing your undergrad/medschool outside of the US, but if you want to practice in the states you still have to do your residency here.

-Will

Visit a university medical library and pull some color books,

Google

atlas "reconstructive surgery" 21,000 hits

atlas burn reconstruction 41,000 hits

atlas "birth defects" 30,400 hits

atlas teratology 9510 hits

It isn't only boob jobs and tummy tucks. Know what you are getting into - both eyes open - then decide.

Uncle Al,

The title in which I would be seeking is comsetic/reconstrutive. I would liek to go on and someday open my own practice. All my study will be done in the US.

Will,

You said 4 years undergrad, 4 years med. 3 years surg. res. and 2 years coms. res.

How could i cut down on years by going over seas? Wouldn't that require more $$$ and maybe effect my reputaion as a doctor?

j/w

OP5

I dont know much about this topic, because I have some of the same questions you do... One thing you could do is take AP (advanced placement) courses in highschool. At the end of the AP course you take an exam. Depending on how well you do on the exam, you can get college credit. Also their is a test you can take before you enter collage. Forgive me, For it is early in the mornig and I can't think of the name. But if you pass that test, you would be able to skip your first 2 years of college.

Will,

You said 4 years undergrad, 4 years med. 3 years surg. res. and 2 years coms. res.

How could i cut down on years by going over seas? Wouldn't that require more $$$ and maybe effect my reputaion as a doctor?

j/w

OP5

You can practice in the states as long as you do your residency here. Many other countries have medicine as an undergraduate degree, so you could cut your time in half. As to costing more money, probably not. American Medical schools are among the most expensive schools in the world. It might effect your reputation, but due to the doctor shortage, more and more doctors from overseas are being accepted into residency programs here.

As to AP classes and the like, be aware that most American medical schools will not take AP credit to meet their entry requirements, so you will most likely need to spend 4 years in undergraduate anyway.

-Will

The title in which I would be seeking is comsetic/reconstrutive. I would liek to go on and someday open my own practice. All my study will be done in the US.

Somebody is a little slow on the uptake. You seek to venture into a world about which you have no conceptualizations other than glamour, status, and income.

http://www.surgical-tutor.org.uk/default-home.htm?core/trauma/burns.htm~right

The pictures toward the bottom

http://asylumeclectica.com/malady/archives/buruli.htm

http://medgen.genetics.utah.edu/photographs/pages/trisomy_13.htm

http://www.pathology.vcu.edu/education/musculo/lab1f.html

http://www.bergmannsheil.de/pages/kliniken/chirurgie/kernklinik/patinfo_handchirurgie.php

Middle

http://www.cl.utoledo.edu/canaday/quackery/quack8.html

War wounds

Wouldn't it be better if you knew where you were going before you started your trip?

I know what I am getting into. I do not understand what the reason for the pics where. Nothing there bothered me. (If thats what you are going for) It actually inspires me. People who have wounds and other problems that causes disfigurments...if i can fix that and give them a new way to live...that is a great thing. I wanna do that for a living. Period.

If this is not the message you are trying to send Unle Al, then please clarify for me....

Op5

If you are comfortable with the discipline - real world as opposed to TV - go for it. Pull a Yellow Pages, find some appropriate physicians, ask to join them on rounds in their hospitals. First, that gets you into it. Second, that establishes contacts who will be valuable for admissions references.

Why should a university admit you over a a sexually harassed Black lesbian single mother intravenous drug addict with AIDS doing the Macarena in a wheelchair who fills Federal quotas? Everybody else has straight-A averages. You need an insider's edge to get in at all and secure scholarship monies if you do get in. If you get out MD with $200K in student loan debt, you were a fool.

Pre-meds with 4.0 gradepoint averages are a dime a dozen. If you apply to med school with an engineering degree, the GPA is not that important. Look at the politics of the matter. Start asking questions of med schools NOW. Ask the customer what it wants, then supply it. Make friends who are useful.

The first Mayor Richard Daly of Chicago once suffered an election against a strong opponent. Candidates' ballot order was the order in which nominating petitions were received by City Hall. The opponent had his thugs in force outside the Cook County Building and got his bag stamped 8:01 AM. They were then put next to Mayor Daly's bags stamped 8:00 AM - admitted through a side door by political patronage employees who wanted to keep their cushy jobs.

Remember the Eleventh Commandment and keep it wholly.