Science Forums

Slight Weight Loss at Moment of Death!?? WHats that?!?

ibking

I would also suggest the following:

1) Quote those responses which you are addressing

2) Spend some time learning the general disposition of the site and the poster before slapping them with your righteous tone.

We know very little about you so far RB. Are you sure this is the impression you want to make? :)

I apologize for not quoting and will do so from now on.

I'm sorry if I seem ot have a righteous tone; it must come from my irritation at those who respond without knowledge. Asiode from the tone, have I said anything wrong or that is not consistent with the policies of this site?

Does that make it any less relevant? And why employ an ad hominem argument? Were my comments incorrect or objectionable?

You have proposed that you have a specific agenda, which is to run a crusade against what you perceive as unacceptable use of terms.

This is objectionable and makes me wonder if you have read our site rules.

Nor do we accept posts that are obvious attacks on other members, or which make other members appear needlessly stupid or ignorant. It is, however, okay to point out that you believe a member is in violation of our rules.

We also frown upon people who come in here to play god. A more humble approach would be more useful, not to mention helpful.

If your intention is to make this a better site, employ better tactics. If it is to make yourself noticed, you've already managed it (but in a negative sense).

It is a good idea to learn how these forums are put together before you start picking on our members.

I have a question, not about the thread itself but pertaining to Raw bits 'posting style'. It is quite common on this site, in fact I think it is actually accepted and I wonder why.

It is of multiple posting? I don't understand why a person can't write everything they want to write in the one post, or if they wish to add something, just edit their post. On other sites multiple posting is generally considered bad etiquette and frowned upon.

I find it annoying, is it just me?

You have proposed that you have a specific agenda, which is to run a crusade against what you perceive as unacceptable use of terms.

This is objectionable and makes me wonder if you have read our site rules.

We also frown upon people who come in here to play god. A more humble approach would be more useful, not to mention helpful.

If your intention is to make this a better site, employ better tactics. If it is to make yourself noticed, you've already managed it (but in a negative sense).

It is a good idea to learn how these forums are put together before you start picking on our members.

I came to this forum looking for answers. I found (with one exception) only sophistry and uneducated gussess with respect to this specific thread. I have no specific agenda or crusade. I do not think that correcting scientifically bad statements is playing god, although supressing such statements may be. And I consider what I have said as (a) not contradictory to the style I find elsewhere on your site, (:) not an attack, and © necessary to the education of your readers, who may think that all replies they read are accurate. And if your members don't like being "picked on", I suggest they engage in some research (or at least have some knowledge) before answering a scientific question.

And I consider what I have said as (a) not contradictory to the style I find elsewhere on your site,

A subjective interpretation, the final interpretation of which is granted to the site's administrators and moderators.

(:) not an attack, and

Please reference my comment above.

© necessary to the education of your readers, who may think that all replies they read are accurate.

Most lessons are better learned with a gentle nudge as opposed to a slap in the face. One rule clearly articulates the point I am referencing:

If you want to refute someone's claims, please stay calm and point out where you think they went wrong, and what kind of proof you base your own opinion on.

And if your members don't like being "picked on", I suggest they engage in some research (or at least have some knowledge) before answering a scientific question.

I agree that it's beneficial for posters to do research on their own, to support their claims and provide support for their comments. However, nobody has referenced you "picking on" our members, only requested that you abide by the forum's rules and make your critiques in a non-venemous manner.

I suggest offering an alternative to a poorly presented idea instead of flaming at it. Then, not only will you be better educating those around you, but you will be doing so without losing the respect other members who might just agree with the point you are making.

Cheers. :)

I'm wondering what level of weight loss was discovered and over what data was this drawn from? Was it 2 stone or 1 lb?

And was this a theory that someone came up with without actually doing any scientific testing?

Sound like hearsay to me, won't believe this until there is documented proven articles.

I have a question, not about the thread itself but pertaining to Raw bits 'posting style'. It is quite common on this site, in fact I think it is actually accepted and I wonder why.

Where else do you see this? I am not aware of this being a problem.

By the way, in the next version of the forum software, which will be installed in a few weeks, it will be much easier to quote multiple posts in one reply. :)

I have no specific agenda or crusade.

From your introductiory post:

I joined this group to lobby for the elimination of phrases like "I believe" and "I don't think that...". They are fine for spiritual discussions but don't (IMHO) belong in any scientific discussion.

That is a specific agenda (and I'd call it a crusade).