Science Forums

Consciousness And Panpsychism?

hazelm

Please don't knock the Topic Title.  That is a question - my question - after starting my reading of Tam Hunt's answers to "the hard problem of consciousness".  Maybe this is not a new concept at all but, to me at least, it is full of new ideas and I am not sure how to feel about them. 

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/263491208_Kicking_the_Psychophysical_Laws_into_Gear_A_New_Approach_to_the_Combination_Problem

It is a long, long report and I have not finished it.  I post this now to offer the opportunity to anyone/everyone well-informed on the topic.  Enlightenment helps.  Opinions valued.  A well-presented report.  How new are his ideas?

How new are his ideas?

Ancient. Only glanced at it so far but it appears to be a form of dualism.

'All is mind' is a very old idea, it still exists in some Eastern philosophies through people with a far deeper understanding of reality than western science that only focuses on the physical mechanistic result of consciousness.

The absurd materialism horseshit plaguing modern science in which consciousness can somehow arise from purely mechanical processes rather than the other way round is relativity new and batshit level bollocks.

Edited by A-wal