Science Forums

Fun For Chemists

hazelm

Make a molecule do what you want it to do - not what it wants to do - without relying on chance.

From Science Daily and University of Toronto:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/10/181005141901.htm

Interesting. Seems to exploit the rows of atoms on the surface of metal crystal as rails, along which adsorbed radicals can be made to move in guided straight lines, so that when they encounter one another they have glancing rather than head-on interactions. The metal was copper and the radicals were CF2 or rather ..CF2, i.e. suppose, i.e. with 2 unpaired electrons on each carbon atom.

I'm not sure how this will applied to produce new reaction products in bulk quantities, but maybe somebody will find a way, eventually. 

Interesting. Seems to exploit the rows of atoms on the surface of metal crystal as rails, along which adsorbed radicals can be made to move in guided straight lines, so that when they encounter one another they have glancing rather than head-on interactions. The metal was copper and the radicals were CF2 or rather ..CF2, i.e. suppose, i.e. with 2 unpaired electrons on each carbon atom.

I'm not sure how this will applied to produce new reaction products in bulk quantities, but maybe somebody will find a way, eventually. 

Since their previous accidental new products were a surprise, perhaps that's what they still have.  They can control the movement but can't be sure it will produce what they expect.

Somehow that doesn't make sense but it's a thought.

Since their previous accidental new products were a surprise, perhaps that's what they still have.  They can control the movement but can't be sure it will produce what they expect.

Somehow that doesn't make sense but it's a thought.

I think the achievement is in manipulating individual molecules, or part-molecule radicals. It remains to be seen whether this can be done at a scale multiplied by 600,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, which is what is needed to produce gram quantities of products.

I think the achievement is in manipulating individual molecules, or part-molecule radicals. It remains to be seen whether this can be done at a scale multiplied by 600,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, which is what is needed to produce gram quantities of products.

That is pretty much what I thought.  First, "can we control where it goes?"  Then make further efforts.  Must be fun playing with chemicals.  :-)

Edited by hazelm

That is pretty much what I though.  First, "can we control where it goes?"  Then make further efforts.  Must be fun playing with chemicals.  :-)

Tell you what, though. I'm impressed Polanyi is still going. He must be older than God's dog. He was an FRS when I was at university. :)