Science Forums

Neural Chemical Remapping

I was doing some thinking about drugs specifically Opoids which induce Dopamine when used. I was considering the nature of drug addiction which from many sources seems to be a heighten state of Dopamine being the primary pathway of addiction which gives the happy feeling from usage of the class of drugs called Opiods to cure the addiction process. This is not exclusive to Opiods it is common for people to crave and become addicted to any drug causing a dopamine release being the same reason that people enjoy sex to such a degree because of this neural chemical's release.

860-header-ecig_sidebar_free.jpg

I have come up the concept of Neural chemical reconstruction via Viral Vector despite my fears that it may be used as a stronger version of the very same people becoming addicted to this form of dopamine increase. The thought process I had behind this is people become addicted to the state of increased dopamine release in the brain, how can one solve this problem put the person into a eternal state of that level of dopamine release effectively making them feel as if they were always on the drug that they are addicted to without ever coming down from the level of dopamine stimulation caused from it, which requires genetic engineering of the brain. It is well known that there is a biochemical pathway which produces dopamine in the brain using gene therapy we can edit the brain cells to produce increased amounts of dopamine to the levels of that experience while on chemical drugs but the effect is forever so there would be no withdraws ever which is the primary problem with many quitting drugs.

The key to this is to insert the gene for dopamine synthesis into the human brain to increase the level of dopamine production to the current dopamine level that the person is effected by when under the effects of the Drug they are addicted to which would be a solution to the "Need" for the drug, they would have that level of dopamine production without the drug by changing the genetic code of the neurons to produce that level of dopamine. The genetic code of dopamine synthesis can easily be inserted into the human brain via Rabies Glycoprotein Retroviral Vector which infects neurons effectively ending the person's addiction to the substance by making their brain produce the dopamine associated with the drug's usage which is the effect that you actually feel consciously. The amount of dopamine production would need to be calculated for each person's "Need" for dopamine after the drug has changed the brain's biochemistry to never go into withdraws without it.

050_large.jpg

Synthesis-of-dopamine-from-L-DOPA-in-the

Even what you call happiness thus addiction and furthermore the Soul/Mind is no more than a function of Bio-machinery, I promise.

Edited by VictorMedvil

Ya, I thought about this later and the idea for this cure to addiction was screwed from the beginning..... like people won't abuse being able to edit their neurons to artificially make dopamine forever. I had good intentions.

tumblr_p2b2oyMaUU1shiin5o1_1280.jpg

Well, Now it gets retooled as a weapon, Joker Gas anyone?

f9a0b223000dd768dc99b7198bbdd690e8ac1353

Edited by VictorMedvil

Ya, I thought about this later and the idea for this cure to addiction was screwed from the beginning..... like people won't abuse being able to edit their neurons to artificially make dopamine forever. I had good intentions.

Better to have tried and lost than never to have tried again.  Being in a state of perpetual euphoria has its negatives, hasn't it?

Good morning.