Science Forums

Philosophy Of Dogma

hazelm

Just a smile to start - or end - your day.  In August/September issue of Philosophy Now, Sandy Grant is talking about dogma, what it is, where we find it,  and how we deal with it.  She  says this:

There are also philosophical dogmas.  One of the dogmas of philosophy is that philosophy is not dogmatic.   (page 27)  :spin:

with my realistic approach,I believe that phlosophy needs positive sciences. there are a few scientific journals that try to use mathematics and physics in philosophy. but not all of them are professional and popular. all in all these contributions are again prominent

Edited by inverse

They're trying to build a prison, They're trying to build a prison, Following the rights movements You clamped down with your iron fists, Drugs became conveniently Available for all the kids, Following the rights movements You clamped down with your iron fists, Drugs became conveniently Available for all the kids, I buy my crack, my smack, my *****, Right here in Hollywood, Nearly 2 million Americans are incarcerated In the prison system, prison system Prison system of the U.S. They're trying to build a prison They're trying to build a prison, They're trying to build a prison, They're trying to build a prison, (for you and me) Another prison system, Another prison system, Another prison system. Minor drug offenders fill your prisons You don't even flinch All our taxes paying for your wars Against the new non-rich, Minor drug offenders fill your prisons You don't even flinch All our taxes paying for your wars Against the new non-rich, I buy my crack, my smack, my *****, Right here in Hollywood, The percentage of Americans in the prison system, prison system Prison system, has doubled since 1985 They're trying to build a prison They're trying to build a prison, They're trying to build a prison, They're trying to build a prison, Another prison system, Another prison system, Another prison system. For you and me, for you and me , for you and me. They're trying to build a prison, They're trying to build a prison, They're trying to build a prison, For you and me, Oh baby, you and me. All research and successful drug policy shows That treatment should be increased, And law enforcement decreased, While abolishing mandatory minimum sentences, All research and successful drug policy shows That treatment should be increased, And law enforcement decreased, While abolishing mandatory minimum sentences. Utilizing drugs to pay for secret wars around the world, Drugs are now your global policy, Now you police the globe, I buy my crack, my smack, my *****, Right here in Hollywood, Drug money is used to rig elections, And train brutal corporate sponsored Dictators around the world. They're trying to build a prison They're trying to build a prison, They're trying to build a prison, They're trying to build a prison, (for you and me to live in) Another prison system, Another prison system, Another prison system. (for you and me) For you and I, for you and I , for you and I. They're trying to build a prison, They're trying to build a prison, They're trying to build a prison, For you and me, Oh baby, you and me.

To separate the male & female populace. It starts in Elementary School with segregated restrooms. Then you go on to A) Workforce (homo), B) Military (Homo), C) Prison (Homo). You're not considered a person or as a member of society until they've drilled it into you for 16 (Kentucky)-18 years.

Edited by Super Polymath

Just a smile to start - or end - your day.  In August/September issue of Philosophy Now, Sandy Grant is talking about dogma, what it is, where we find it,  and how we deal with it.  She  says this:

There are also philosophical dogmas.  One of the dogmas of philosophy is that philosophy is not dogmatic.   (page 27)  :spin:

That view would seem to be a bit contentious. See the opening para of the Wiki article on dogma, in which followers of a particular school of philosophy can be said to embrace a certain dogma.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogma

"Dogma" need not be a pejorative term, by the way. 

That view would seem to be a bit contentious. See the opening para of the Wiki article on dogma, in which followers of a particular school of philosophy can be said to embrace a certain dogma.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogma

"Dogma" need not be a pejorative term, by the way. 

Ah, no.  My quote was out of context.  She is not making it pejorative at all.  And she does discuss how followers of variouus schools of philosophy have their own dogmas.   Her entire article is about the meaning of "dogmas" and how people adopt them as authoritative philosophy, thinking it is a requirement if they want to be part of that "school".   She says  dogmas are not usually forcibly imposed on adherents.  They start as ideas and the adherents believe they are dogmas that have to be accepted as gospel (my term).   And she says that accepting ideas as dogmas "because I said it" ("I" being the voice of authority) is an awful thing to do.

So, in what I posted "as a smile for the day",  she points out the irony of a group that claims it has no dogmas but really has, as have most groups.

Does that clarify?