Science Forums

Taking The Smartphone Back To The Past

All good things come out of Missouri.  (my personal pride comment)

Mr. Bloch has designed a cell phone that does nothing but make phone calls and a very few "absolute necessities".  Its purpose:  to get our attention off our  smartphones and back to our friends and neighbors.

This is pretty much what my little cell phone does already - except it has a camera I've never used.  Everyone can give you a million reasons why Mr. Bloch's idea won't succeed and I am experiencing one right now with the cab company.  Whenever a new technology comes out, the cab company "updates".  As a result it is becoming next to impossible to make a simple call, order a cab and relax while waiting.  This is the way of most businesses.  Call and talk to a robot? 

Well, don't get me started.  Read the story here if you want:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20180814-the-new-phones-that-are-stuck-in-the-past

I definitely like the idea but (quoting Mr Bloch)  "can you put the genie back in the bottle?"  I doubt it.

Edited by hazelm

This reminds me of the story about the guy who was disturbed about the fact that telegraphs delivered news so quickly.

"Think of the disruption to commerce and mental disturbance caused by so many learning of the assassination of President Lincoln!" he proclaimed. "We should force telegraph offices to be placed only far outside of cities so that such catastrophic news is disseminated gradually."

Seriously, the described cell phone does nothing about it's main problem: that the boss thinks you're available 24x7 and also on vacation.

I've also noticed that families or couples who spend dinner staring at their phones is the symptom, not the cause, of relationship and discipline problems, but people who are not good at dealing with each other love this as an excuse for why.

So that's the telephone? They ring, and you run. :phones:

Buffy 

This reminds me of the story about the guy who was disturbed about the fact that telegraphs delivered news so quickly.

"Think of the disruption to commerce and mental disturbance caused by so many learning of the assassination of President Lincoln!" he proclaimed. "We should force telegraph offices to be placed only far outside of cities so that such catastrophic news is disseminated gradually."

Seriously, the described cell phone does nothing about it's main problem: that the boss thinks you're available 24x7 and also on vacation.

I've also noticed that families or couples who spend dinner staring at their phones is the symptom, not the cause, of relationship and discipline problems, but people who are not good at dealing with each other love this as an excuse for why.

So that's the telephone? They ring, and you run. :phones:

Buffy 

I whole-heartedly agree with everything you say and will defend to the death of my cell phone your right to say it. :vava: