Science Forums

What Are Nanotubes?

hazelm

a tubular molecule composed of a large number of carbon atoms.  (borrowed from a Google definition)

Exchemist - or any friend - are these one type of those "giant molecules" that we talked about - the entry on that Foundations list?

Thank you.

Edited by hazelm

Carbon nanotubes are as the google definition says tubes of carbon composed of carbon they are many times stronger than steel about 50 times and also conduct electricity quite well.

word-image8.jpeg

True, Victor.  What I was getting at was a group of studies that used to be required at colleges and universities.  They were called Foundations courses.  At Open University, one course was called  Giant molecules.  I had never heard of these.  If I understood ExChemist rightly, these were giant covalent bonds of  non-metalic) atoms.  These carbon atomic structures seemed to fit that description.  I was wanting to confirm it. 

Thank you for adding to the description.  And, by the way, they are wanting to use those in clothing where they can be used to charge your cell phone.  How can you ever get caught without your charger if you are wearing it?  :-)