Jump to content
Science Forums

Recommended Posts

IMO, a very simple self-assembling nano machine is the microtubule which self-assembles from 2 tubulins (dimer) 

Microtubules are polymers of tubulin that form part of the cytoskeleton and provide structure and shape to eukaryotic cells. Microtubules can grow as long as 50 micrometres and are highly dynamic. The outer diameter of a microtubule is between 23 and 27 nm[2] while the inner diameter is between 11 and 15 nm.[3] They are formed by the polymerization of a dimer of two globular proteins, alpha and beta tubulin into protofilaments that can then associate laterally to form a hollow tube, the microtubule.[4] The most common form of a microtubule consists of 13 protofilaments in the tubular arrangement.

Tubulin_Infographic.jpg

lossy-page1-800px-Microtubules_in_the_leading_edge_of_a_cell.tif.jpg

Microtubules are one of the cytoskeletal filament systems in eukaryotic cells. The microtubule cytoskeleton is involved in the transport of material within cells, carried out by motor proteins that move on the surface of the microtubule.

Microtubules are very important in a number of cellular processes. They are involved in maintaining the structure of the cell and, together with microfilaments and intermediate filaments, they form the cytoskeleton. They also make up the internal structure of cilia and flagella. They provide platforms for intracellular transport and are involved in a variety of cellular processes, including the movement of secretory vesicles, organelles, and intracellular macromolecular assemblies (see entries for dynein and kinesin).[5] They are also involved in cell division (by mitosis and meiosis) and are the major constituents of mitotic spindles, which are used to pull eukaryotic chromosomes apart.

Microtubules are nucleated and organized by microtubule organizing centers (MTOCs), such as the centrosome found in the center of many animal cells or the basal bodies found in cilia and flagella, or the spindle pole bodies found in most fungi.

Much, much more.................microtubules constitute the heart of all Eukaryotic neural networks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microtubule

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2021 at 3:35 PM, VictorMedvil said:

Well, Let's see what happens with this... Maybe I will score some cash out of this entire process.

And what compels you to make that comment?  I'd say this area might warrant a cash investment. Ask Roger Penrose what he thinks of the idea.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, write4u said:

And what compels you to make that comment?  I'd say this area might warrant a cash investment. Ask Roger Penrose what he thinks of the idea.

Google has a lot more money than Roger Penrose and I need to turn that patent into cash. I want them to buy it, this being poor **** is chapping my balls. What good is a patent if you don't sell it for money? You know I can have like a billion dollars in assets but it doesn't do me any good unless it is in the form of paper money, sometimes you just need that government paper.

Edited by VictorMedvil
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, VictorMedvil said:

Google has a lot more money than Roger Penrose and I need to turn that patent into cash. I want them to buy it, this being poor **** is chapping my balls. What good is a patent if you don't sell it for money? You know I can have like a billion dollars in assets but it doesn't do me any good unless it is in the form of paper money, sometimes you just need that government paper.

Well Google AlphaGo won a million dollars in 5 games against the world champion Go player who it beat 4 to 1 

p.s. Go is the worlds oldest (+4000 yr) and most most difficult game.

Quote

AlphaGo is a computer program that plays the board game Go.[1] It was developed by DeepMind Technologies[2] which was later acquired by Google. Subsequent versions of AlphaGo became increasingly powerful, including a version that competed under the name Master.[3] After retiring from competitive play, AlphaGo Master was succeeded by an even more powerful version known as AlphaGo Zero, which was completely self-taught without learning from human games. AlphaGo Zero was then generalized into a program known as AlphaZero, which played additional games, including chess and shogi. AlphaZero has in turn been succeeded by a program known as MuZero which learns without being taught the rules.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AlphaGo

 

And of course there is GPT3 which is text based and easily passes the Turing test.  But why is profit important in the scientific research of AI?

Edited by write4u
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, write4u said:

 

 

And of course there is GPT3 which is text based and easily passes the Turing test.  But why is profit important in the scientific research of AI?

Because dumbass I don't have 80 trillion dollars in the bank to just waste my time doing whatever I want. I don't get a check for more than 100 dollars every second 24/7 like Bill Gates. Welcome to "Real Life" where all that matters is the number on your bank account.

Edited by VictorMedvil
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, VictorMedvil said:

Because dumbass I don't have 80 trillion dollars in the bank to just waste my time doing whatever I want. I don't get a check for more than 100 dollars every second like Bill Gates. Welcome to "Real Life" where all that matters is the number on your bank account.

No one is asking you to develop theses scientific advances. If rich people were not willing to invest we'd still be in the Dark Ages.

A computer used to cost $2000, now they cost $200.  Note that the original cost has already been cut in half.  Twenty years of 8 hrs p/day by a dedicated team of highly educated scientists does tend to add up. 

Jeff Bezos makes that kind of money in a few months  @2500.00 per second.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, write4u said:

No one is asking you to develop theses scientific advances. If rich people were not willing to invest we'd still be in the Dark Ages.

A computer used to cost $2000, now they cost $200.  Note that the original cost has already been cut in half.  Twenty years of 8 hrs p/day by a dedicated team of highly educated scientists does tend to add up. 

Jeff Bezos makes that kind of money in a few months  @2500.00 per second.

I don't want them to invest in ****, I just want them to buy it, I don't want to have to mess with partial ownership of stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, VictorMedvil said:

I don't want them to invest in ****, I just want them to buy it, I don't want to have to mess with partial ownership of stuff.

You are an impatient sort aren't you.  Instant gratification is your style?

Quote

CoreWeave gives us access to their hardware, we make an open source GPT-3 for everyone to use (and thank them very loudly), and that's all,” he said.Jan 15, 2021

 
 
Edited by write4u
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, write4u said:

You are an impatient sort aren't you.  Instant gratification is your style?

 

No, I want the money now, not when I am about to fall over dead at like 80, it doesn't matter how much money you have when you are dead. I have already wasted enough time and money on this stuff if it doesn't start paying out soon I will just abandon the project, which is why I am selling it so cheap.

Edited by VictorMedvil
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, write4u said:

What do you want the money for? To buy happiness?

To just be a baller. I dunno maybe a golden grill.

"You ivory tower intellectuals must not lose touch with the world of industrial growth and hard currency. It is all very well and good to pursue these high-minded scientific theories, but research grants are expensive and you must justify your existence by providing not only knowledge, but concrete and profitable applications as well."

Edited by VictorMedvil
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...