Science Forums

Interface between the soul and the brain...

DrProctopus

If we have a soul...

And that is one big gigantic if.

But, for the sake of discussion, if we do have a soul, then there must be some sort of mechanism for information to flow from the brain to the soul, and from the soul to the brain.

The question is, what would that mechanism be, and how would we test it?

The way I see it is this (note - massive speculation follows): If there is a reality outside the physical reality, then it seems like this reality would be a subset of the outer reality. Basically, the fabric of spacetime, within which our reality is defined, would be contained within the outer reality. In order to find evidence of the outer reality affecting this reality (beyond the big bang) we need to look for events that have no apparent cause. Perhaps a possible area to look for such events would be apprently random quantum events, such as the spontaneous appearance of particle/antiparticle pairs.

If a quantum event were to pass information to the brain, it would need to either affect the firing of neurons, or the chemical structure of RNA and neurotransmitters.

For the sake of discussion, let's call any flow of information from the soul to the brain a spiritual event. If a spiritual event occurs, then it would cause neurons to fire, or a change in certain chemical components of the brain. It seems that either of these processes would result in electrons being forced into a higher state, then going back to a lower state, thus causing the release of a photon (any physics experts please feel free to correct me if I get some basic physics wrong). Thus, one way to look for evidence of a spiritual event would be to try to detect extra photon emission from the brain during a period when a spiritual event would be expected.

In pubmed I came upon one study claiming to detect photon emission during a laying-on of hands ritual, which I guess would be related to this idea. I frankly doubt the reliability of such a study, but it is a start. Here is the link for the abstract:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12652883&query_hl=1

My question is this, in what other places, or with what methods, would we look for evidence to detect a flow of information from the soul to the brain. Or, more generally, how would we detect any influence of the outer reality on this reality.

If one were to examine all possible routes of information transfer, and find zero evidence of the occurrence of the expected events, then that would be evidence in favor of the argument that this reality is all there is.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest loarevalo

You may have heard this quote from Max Planck before:

"As a man who has devoted his whole life to the most clear-headed science, to the study of matter, I can tell you as the result of my research about atoms this much:

THERE IS NO MATTER AS SUCH!

All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force which brings the particles of an atom to vibration and holds this most minute solar system of the atom together. We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent mind. This mind is the matrix of all matter."

This is my speculation about that: I believe that this force is the essence of life (intelligence). I believe everything can be divided into two: what acts, and what is acted upon. This essence (intelligence) is what acts, what is behind every action - the "primum mobile." While all life is in a way or other a manifestation of this essence or power, God is the perfect form of life and most truly the "force" that keeps atoms together.

I don't precisely know how Intelligence acts upon things - what the nature of the interaction is. Maybe you can suggest a way, but it seems that such question has beaten even the brightest minds (like Planck).

Consider these excerpts from the Doctrine and Covenants of the Church of Jesus-Christ of Latter-day Saints (the excerpts date respectively 1833, 1833, 1843):

D&C 93:29-30

29 Man was also in the beginning with God. Intelligence, or the light of truth, was not created or made, neither indeed can be.

30 All truth is independent in that sphere in which God has placed it, to act for itself, as all intelligence also; otherwise there is no existence.

D&C 88:6-13

6 He that ascended up on high, as also he descended below all things, in that he comprehended all things, that he might be in all and through all things, the light of truth;

7 Which truth shineth. This is the light of Christ. As also he is in the sun, and the light of the sun, and the power thereof by which it was made.

8 As also he is in the moon, and is the light of the moon, and the power thereof by which it was made;

9 As also the light of the stars, and the power thereof by which they were made;

10 And the earth also, and the power thereof, even the earth upon which you stand.

11 And the light which shineth, which giveth you light, is through him who enlighteneth your eyes, which is the same light that quickeneth your aunderstandings;

12 Which light proceedeth forth from the presence of God to fill the immensity of space—

13 The light which is in all things, which giveth life to all things, which is the law by which all things are governed, even the power of God who sitteth upon his throne, who is in the bosom of eternity, who is in the midst of all things.

D&C 131:7-8

7 There is no such thing as immaterial matter. All spirit is matter, but it is more fine or pure, and can only be discerned by purer eyes;

8 We cannot see it; but when our bodies are purified we shall see that it is all matter.

Likewise, I try not to distinguish objective reality from the "platonic realm" or a "spiritual realm." While such distinction can be made for sake of cataloging, studying, all these "realities" are real, they are interconnected as in a continuos fashion, since Reality is one.