Science Forums

PHP vs ASP.NET - which is better

TINNY

...Microsoft turns on their Linux boxes (probably Linux from scratch, but most likely pretty secure(yes there are some Unix smart people that work for MS 1 or 2 is my guess)) so their servers would be left alone B)
It is absolutely true. MS folks really aren't stupid, they just have a poor operating system. As I recall, the guy that designed Windows NT was one of the primary designers for VMS (DEC), which I think was one of the best general-purpose operating systems ever built. (In fact you might have heard the jokes that WNT was a one letter increment from VMS, just like HAL in "2001 a Space Oddesey" was on letter decrement from IBM- with equal loss of control). It was hard to understand how a guy with that much experience could release NT with so many holes. I just always assumed that they were trying to get something out quickly to supplant their other weak operating systems, and that the marketing guys pushed them to release one more.

Oh well.

alexander-

I think we ought to consider arranging a formal intervention on Telemad to deal with his compulsive tendency to disagree. I even caught him disagreeing with himself.

An intervention would, however, require that he still has a friend or two remaining to participate in the intervention. Odds might be low.

LOL...I love you guys!!! haha

I am a newbie .NET developer and would only shame the whole community by locking horns with anyone on the issues, but I'd like to note that everything one could ask about Alexander's objectivity is anwered in his avatar! LMAO. That's hysterical!! nice...

I'm gonna go home and make one like it! =)

Additionally, even though I feel certain that you know what you are referring to, it might help someone along the way if you were to refer to the MS technology without shortening it.

"ASP.NET" is not "ASP"

and brings a lot more to the game. ;)

brings a lot more to the game

firstly, welcome to the forums, thanks about all the complements about my avatar, took me a while to make this one, now i'm out of ideas for my next one ;) but thats a matter of time ;)

i'd also agree that ASP has gotten signifficant improvements with .net, as well as VB, they both became better languages, BUT it does not change their proprietary, standard-defying code, slowness (in case of ASP) and incompattibility with anything nonmicrosoft...

I am a newbie .NET developer and would only shame the whole community by locking horns with anyone on the issues, but I'd like to note that everything one could ask about Alexander's objectivity is anwered in his avatar!

So what pushed you to go the Microsoft way? PHP is faster, cheaper, faster-growing, better supported and less standard defying than ASP, what pushed you to decide to study ASP? just curious

oh, and yes, if a 2d picture says a 1000 words, that gif(made of 10 pictures and additional dimention , time) just about describes why i strongly dislike microsoft.

Oh, and Bio, dont take me wrong, i dont enjoy being constantly compramised by Tele, but nothing will push me to abuse my privilages, nor do i hate him, i am just a type of person who hates creating or for this case, being involved in conflicts, even as a middle man. My life so far has been full of these affairs, so i dont want it to spread to such a place as Hypography, trust me, if it wasnt for these forums, there might not have already existed a me, as there was a period of time where the only thing i was looking foreward to every day was coming here (at that point not even posting, just reading). Aside from that, i understand that some people like to argue with others, and in this world, no matter what you say, it can be proven wrong, but I hate being dragged into conflicting situations, yes, i can discuss a topic, yes i can argue my point of view, but if you have something to add to what i say, or correct me, I am more than willing to spend the time researching, just point it in such a way that wont make someone feel like a total (if you excuse me) "dumbass", I know that tele is a brilliant guy, but for some reason he doesnt want to help us out here most of the time, he just enjoys making the opposite argument, and catching on to every tiny bit you say wrong to only amplify it and throw it back with 10 times the power..., but thats my thoughts anyways, also excuse me if i'm being too candid on a public forum...

Alexander: ... and the new Perl that should come out shortly ..

TeleMad: Uhm, alexander, hello! Let me quote you to counter yourself ... "umm we are talking about now, so please keep with the topic."

Alexander: Tele, i'm using his own tactic, plus notice that i didnt go on and on about the new perl, u just mentioned it, not basing a whole paragraph on it.

TeleMad: Uhm, he didn't do that either. Why not take the time to read what he actually said.

Alexander:

aamer: .NET 2.0 will support

alexander: Perl that should come out shortly

i think they are pretty close, no?

Indeed they are, which was my original point! Your own counter against aamer, regarding not looking to the future but instead looking only at what’s on the table now, counters your own statement. That was my point.

You seemed to disagree with this, and implied, I felt, that what aamer did was different because he didn’t just mentioned the future, he went on and on about the not-yet-released version and based a whole paragraph on it.

I pointed out that aamer didn’t do that.

Are you able to follow this now?

=)

well, I actually have friends in both camps....and I intend to learn php shortly, as well, for a variety of reasons. The ultimate decision for me came down to what the demand was in my local market. I live just outside of Nashville, TN. and businesses around here want MCSD's. They aren't paying much for anything else. In fact, many of my fellow students in these .NET courses are C++, java, and php programmers whose companies are sending them to get trained in .NET technologies.

I use to be pretty "anti-MS" myself ( lol and sometimes still am!). But, as I see it, the most conservative approach is that, if you are proficient with it all, you can "all-ways" meet the needs (and wants) of the customer. And the guy who's meeting the needs of the customer is the guy "buyin the beer" (i.e. "gettin paid" lol =) Furthermore, let's face it, there a few (if any) absolute values in the world. So my official "noob" answer to the title question is this....which is the "better" technology probably just depends on the task at hand! And, coming full circle, the only person who can even come close to providing a 100% accurate answer in any case, is the guy who knows em both. =)

since everything I know, I learned from others...

here is a link to check out for you "php guys"

http://www.sitepoint.com/article/v-php-top-6-reasons-use-net

and one for you "asp.net guys"...

http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/articles/hull_asp.html

;)

With better and better scripting languages such as Python and [one that doesn't count], scripting is becoming more and more widely used, because it is in many cases faster to write a 4 line script then it is to write a full-blown 500 line program in C...

Why'd you switch to comparing scripting to a full-blown 500 line C program? An ASP.NET web page can be created using only 4 lines of code - or less - matching what you gave for a scripting language.