Science Forums

New Operating Systems

Phire

Well, without going to much in depth on the topic of of OSes (Operating Systems), I will give you some alternative operating systems with their sites so you may find out more if you interested. And to those of you who don't know what an OS is, well for example Windows XP is a operating system (OS). Here are the few OSes that I think should see more light:

- Unununium (Completely modular OS, no kernel)

- Yellow Tab (BeOS's new itteration)

- AmigaOS (The good ol' Amiga is back)

- ReactOS (Windows application compatible alternative OS)

- Qnx (Embedded modular OS) Screenshots

- The Linux's

Among the popular version of Linux are Mandrake, Red Hat, Suse and Gentoo (You may find out more about these and basically all the different flavors at Distrowatch)

-The BSD's

This OS also comes in many version's such as FreeBSD, OpenBSD and NetBSD. (For more info you can read a small detailed description of what BSD is at BSD Info).

Their you have it. These are some of the many sprouting alternative OS's destined to come out into the light. The whole point of this post is enlighten you on many different choice you have instead of windows or macOS. Also I want to hear what you guys are looking for in an OS. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd certainly like to look into Linux myself (I tried it years ago, but I guess it was a bit early back then).

My only problem is that I use mostly software which does not exist for the Linux platform - the Macromedia MX suite and Adobe Photoshop etc for web design. I have spent so much time learning these apps that converting to new software is really not an option for me.

Another problem is that I also work with music software (like sequencers, soft synths etc) and in my eyes Linux is not up to speed on that yet.

I currently use both Windows XP Home and Mac OSX 10.3. The Mac os is incredibly stable and great to use, while Windows can be a pain sometimes. Since it runs on BSD, Mac is already a Unix system so I can even write C programs right from the command line...

But thanks for the tips, Phire - I might install a Linux partition and give it a shot...when I get my head above the water with the new version of Hypography.com...

Tormod

give it a few years. I think most people will be using Linux in a couple years, since it is open-source and it's free! It runs faster too. If you decide to install Linux, you should probably save some room for windows.