Science Forums

Theories on how the universe was created....Please Help!!!

On another note , i keep reading this "infinite density" stuff. people should never use that word. if something is infinitly dense, its infinitly small, and therfore does not exist. or it is a fixed size and contains an infinite amount of matter, it witch case it would have to be infinitly large. the word is usless and defies logic.

Moderators edit - Please refrain from abusing other members. It is ok to disagree with their beliefs and say so as much as you want, but don't call them "ignorant". Thanks.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gosh darn, this is alot of useful information about the big bang needed for my science research topic due in 3 days... I need to compare the Religious(Christian, Muslim Etc) and Scientific (Big Bang) theories of how the universe was created...

So if you guys know any facts on Religious Beliefs of the universe, It will be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Harry

It's okay to ask for advice but if people would care to read our FAQ (link on top of page) they would see that registration is in fact required. If you do not care to register at least provide us with a name.

I recently began to allow anonymous postings to let people voice their ideas, but posts of the "I need free advice and won't participate" kind will eventually lead to a reconsideration of this.

Anonymous postings will not be replied to officially unless it is felt necessary - and useless anonymous postings may be deleted without warning. So please register.

Tormod

Dear Chris - warm welcomes to our forum.

This thread has gone a little off track, so I'm a bit lost. Do you mind rephrasing your question? Is this a follow-up to a previous post? Please help us out by being a little more specific...

Just a few quick links for you...(not necessarily related to your question, though).

Negative Energy, Wormholes and Warp Drive

White Holes and Wormholes

tormod

I read most of the post on this thread but to come to a con clusion on any one therium you need to do a simple exper. ,. On a flat surface pore out bout 1000 bb's ( as used in an air rifle ) , randomly place small magnets on the surface and let it set . take photos of the surface twice a day fromthe same location and see how many of the bb's have moved . if some stick to the magnets to start with leave them, this is how matter gathered to start with . As a school project the photos will say it all . This exper., gives you time, space , and matter all in the same place at the same time . Do this and you have your answer.

nat.

no one nows the true cause of the universe but i would like to quote this to help your research report… spacetime could appear out of nothingness as a result of a quantum transition. … Particles can appear out of nowhere without specific causation … Yet the world of quantum mechanics routinely produces something out of nothing.

By, Anonomyous

• 1 month later...

To Tormod,

You recommended in an earlier reply that good books to read on the origins of the universe were:

I recommend reading The Origin of the Universe by John D. Barrow, and perhaps Stephen Hawking's latest, The Universe in a Nutshell.

I just wanted to say that I took your recommendation and read Barrow's book and really liked it. The book was easy to read and to understand. As an introduction to this topic, I found it extremely useful. As for Hawking, I attempted to read the Universe in a Nutshell but had the exact opposite experience - Hawking, in my opinion, does a poor job trying to explain scientific theories to the lay person. You really have to have some prior knowledge of Physics before you could read Hawking.

By the way, the Barrow book is part of a larger series of science books that were written to educate people in basic science. Another book in the series is the Origins of Humankind by Laskey?. I am going to read that one next.

Daisy, glad you liked Barrow! He is my personal favorite. I interviewed him for Norwegian radio last year, and he is a great person (in my eyes he is one of Britains best science writers these days).

Another great book by John Barrow is "Impossibility", which is a collection of essays on what we percieve to be impossible - and what we will never know. Great stuff.

I assume that you're talking about the science masters series (my edition is). If so, it's a great series. I can recommend Martin Rees' "Just Six Numbers" as well, also published in the same series.

I agree that Hawking's book is much harder. His book, A Brief history of the Universe, became a top seller back in the late 80s but I wonder how many people _actually_ read his book. Still, a lot of people liked his latest book. I must admit I was furious when I read it, to the point where I almost threw it out of the window, but Hawking does have some good ideas. Too bad his writing is a bit inaccessible.

Tormod

• 2 weeks later...

hey who evers still here, im a christain and im doing this speech on how evolution couldnt be possible, im not saying that u guys should fully believe what i believe what i do but theres stuff i was reading that i found really interesting, just simple stuff like how they say the ice on earth has gone up over thousands of years but in 1942 a plane was landed on the ice and the ppl on it left it there, in 1988 ppl came bac to recover it, think oh yeh we will just have to shovel a bit of ice and fly them away, BUT when they got there they discover the ice to be 75 meters deep (250 feet) wow haha and science says that it forms over THOUSANDS of years. Im not sure if u have heard of that before. Oh and another thing i was just wondering about was before the big bang??? com on that cant have been the beginniing?? in evolution ways time must have always been, how can nothing create such a vaculum or watever it was. and wif the amino acids (sorry bout the spellin) they got in 'perfect order'. Oh and the human eye?? how ppl say everything came from nothing wif the eye u know how it has the iris, retina, corena bla bla bla whatever it has they couldnt have devloped slowly over time it had to just have exicsted, u couldnt have an eye without the iris?!?! it just seems weird that science alows that to happen. But anyways im quite a new christain and i used to fully believe evolution and have big as fights wif christains about it, but i looked waayyyy further into it and couldnt find any answers about evolution. but im probably really thick and u's can explain things way better than me.

heres a story i read, its funny as, this is what evolution is saying in simple terms..

''Imagine we're standing at an airport watching a 747 landing. I say to u , 'alot of ppl think that plane is the result of sumones careful thinking but i know better. There was no real intelligence at all. In sum strange way the metal came out of the ground, and turned into flat sheets. And then the metal sheets started to grow together and form the boady and wings and tail. Then after a long while the engines slowly grew into place, and one day ppl came along and discovered the plane, all finished and ready to fly. AHHH hahaa u would think i was flippin crazy! BECAUSE u know there was a designer, there must be a designer...

xoxo id love sum feed back, need sumone elses opinion!

ema, 15, nz

Hello, nz_girl, welcome to our forums.

Since you're kind enough to voice so many arguments against "science" (listing just about all the complaints we have already discussed in these forums), I'll just make one brief comment: Science is not what makes evolution "happen". Evolution has nothing to do with science.

Science is trying to understand how things work. That doesn't mean that if we can't explain something, it doesn't exist. Science is a very human thing (at least on Earth). If you ask 6 billion people what science is, you would probably get as many answers.

I live in Norway. We have lots of glaciers. And I tell you, they can grow and shrink enormously over incredibly short timespans. So your story about the plane in the ice is not a proof of anything but the fact that whoever went to look for it knew nothing about weather conditions in the area where the plane was.

It is easy to confuse "scientific theory" with "law of nature". But nature takes it's own paths, no matter what we try to do with it.

You might find this page interesting (or infuriating):

FreeRepublic.com: Discussion and links about evolution

Tormod

• 3 weeks later...