Science Forums

Noah's Ark dimensions ?

Eddy_P

Alxian - gotta agree with Skippy here, I think its time to clean your bong, dude.

In my honest opinion, I think the Flood is just a folk tale told over generations about a local flood. And every generation adds a little tail to the story until the thing got to cover the whole world. All the addings-on ended of course when some creative soul got the idea to pen (or chisel, for that matter) it down. But by that time, it was so inflated and exaggerated as to look godly in its cause.

There's a lot of stories in the bible that had the same roots, in my opinion. For one, Adam and Eve had two sons. Cain caught a dislike in Able and whacked him. Cain moved to some town. Now, where did the town come from???

The whole earth was inundated in a global flood. Keeping in mind the average elevation of land, the average depth of the ocean floor, the amount of H2O on the planet, there's not enough water to cover even one eight of the current landmass. Where did the water come from??? Even if it was an icy comet or some such, the water would still be here. Simple.

Noah's sons are said to represent the different races. You'll notice that the races only include the races known at the time to the mid-east writers of the bible. Where are the Polynesians, the Australian Aborigines, the American Indians, the Hottentots???

A man gets swallowed by the only whale in the history of the world that doesn't produce stomach acids. What are the odds in that happening??? And what would be the evolutionary benefit for a whale not to have gastric acids??? Was there a containerload of Tums floating nearby???

To all the above, in Unle Al's words, I'd have to say: Test of Faith!

'40 days and 40 nights' is, in Hebrew, a way of saying 'A Very Long Time'. It's not literal. But you'll get people trying to figure how to pack enough fodder in the Ark to keep so many animals alive for exactly 40 days. It's not necessary. And its not necessary because it simply did not happen. In my opinion, Noah got trapped in a local flood, hanging onto some planking or something. And in the river he maybe saved a chicken and a sheep or something from the water. And where he washed up, people saw him coming to shore with a chicked, a sheep and a dog. Or whatever. And from there the myth grew and grew out of all proportions. That's a more believable prospect.

Debating over the physical properties of mythology, like the dimensions of this cargo ship, is pointless. It's like debating the carbon content in Thor's hammer.

In my honest opinion, I think the Flood is just a folk tale told over generations about a local flood.

it wasn't local, according to many records several nations speak of a flood similar to that reported in the bible (which itself isn't proof of anything factual and more of a retelling of stories from other ancient tribes).

if it was local there must have had to have been more than one event.

if there was more than one [flood] at one time, could it have been an impact induced global tsunami or some other event.. why i mentioned the irradiation. could have been a failed experiment with nukes, both creating a global tsunami AND filling the sky with water (inducing 80 days of rain).

but like many things if the story was something that happened before people scattered their tribes to the four corners of the earth maybe events that everyone talk about did happen to a common tribe predating spoken and written records and thus much earlier than they estimate.

like the egyptians and the ancient sphinx and homer and ptolemay with atlantis (maybe santorini) the timing is all wrong but the events reported with uncanny similarity.

heres perhaps a stupid idea..

why don't we build an modern ark and elevator* and leave it in parking orbit "just in case"?

rapture being all nigh and stuff, (late even if you wanna be literal), a plan of evacuation should be devised.

a ship able to accomodate a billion people and cart them over to the moon or mars with a fast enough turn around time to make 6 trips within a year.

*space elevator, and decomission need-another-sevens death trap shuttle.

the biggest benifit of a geostationary houston based space elevator is that at the space end you could attach several solar power satelites and have the elevator act like a huge lightning rod passing power down into the atmosphere.

build it over the water and build it up in segments till it finally reached space and center of gravity hit the sweet spot where it seemed to lift off of the ground and started orbiting the earth.

distribute several around the globe and kiss petrol power goodbye.

I have been informed thatThe KJV bible shows the word "three" in conjunction with the word "hundred", but it also shows added words of "shall be". The English translation and interpretation has added words and may have changed the original sequence of words.

For example, in Genesis 1:1 the English says "God created" but when an interlinear Hebrew book is consulted it is found that the word "created" comes before the word "God".

So Gen 1:1 originally said "In the beginning created God, the heavens, and the earth" which shows that three things were created (or were first seen by Moses who is making the account) - Moses first saw in this order what he believed to be God, Heaven, and Earth.

"God" didn't create the heaven and earth - Moses saw a deity, heaven, and earth in that order.

But Hebrew word 430 "God" is a plural Hebrew word for ordinary deities (plural).

Moses saw deities (plural), then the sky, then the land.

Back to the Ark. It is not a boat. It is just a box - a sacred box.

Have the words "three" and "hundred" in Genesis 6:15 been swapped around during the English translation process ?

I do not have access to an interlinear Old Testament.

Could someone check this out for me.

Thanks, Eddy

I notice in spanish the words are backwords, so supose I decided to talk spanish style english " the boy baby fat is too much fat to be eating too much chicken big." I think you should switch the words around and englishize it toy our sakes.

the biggest benifit of a geostationary houston based space elevator is that at the space end you could attach several solar power satelites and have the elevator act like a huge lightning rod passing power down into the atmosphere.

That kind of sounds like a big bug zapper for people.

I honestly don't know how we got from Noah's Ark to a Space Elevator.

Now I have a question for you: Imagine a Space Elevator is possible and not some SciFi crap- How the heck would the Coriolis Force be countered in such a tall structure? What would be the effects of tidal stress on it?

I honestly don't know how we got from Noah's Ark to a Space Elevator.
He's talking about using it as a modern Noah's Ark. Which might be a good idea.

Mind you, he was also talking about the flood being caused by a nuke 2000+ years before anyone even worked out what an atom was, and 4000+ before anyone worked out how to split one, so... :eek: