Science Forums

New forum for basic subject matter help requests

CraigD

How about a separate forum for requests for help with basic subject matter questions, homework, and the like?

Currently, there seem to be 2 very distinct “modes” of science thread starters: requests for help of comment from folk with a mature (though sometimes controversial) understanding of the subject matter, and requests, sometimes in the form of naive wild claims, from folk who are just learning the basics of the subject, either in an academic or self-educational setting.

Though many posters enjoy both modes, sometimes there’s confusion. A request for basic help receives overly technical criticism, or is simply threadjacked onto subsequent posters’ own lines. A novel claim is treated as a naive misunderstanding of the basics, and treated to a bunch of useless remedial aids.

Of course, there’d be no practical way to assure that folk post to the correct board, but if it existed, at least people who clearly understood that they were asking for basic help would have a specific place to post, and moderators could move threads when appropriate.

The Science Projects forum already exists, but is geared toward projects, not plain study.

Maybe a forum called 'Homework Help' or something similiar to draw posters with help requests to it? Of course, this kind of gives the impression that such requests are going to get replied to. While many of us try to help those that ask I would not want to imply that posts to such a forum are actually going to garner any help.

Of course, there’d be no practical way to assure that folk post to the correct board, but if it existed, at least people who clearly understood that they were asking for basic help would have a specific place to post, and moderators could move threads when appropriate.

Can you give me an example of what you mean here? I'm not sure I quite understand what you are asking us for.

Do you mean that you would like a forum set up with a title like "Basic Help; Forum where people get answers to basic questions", and then someone that wanted to better understand something like the speed of light could go there and ask "How is the speed of light measured", without worrying about a bunch of people making fun of them for not already knowing, and having a bit of beathing space while their question was answered? Without anyone trying to make them look/feel stupid? And just getting basic information for an answer, instead of a bunch of people jumping in trying to prove each other right or wrong? (gee, where's the fun in that?? :) )

Or am I totally missing your point?

I agree with you, Clay... I also don't like condoning the single-poster who will hop in, post one message which says something like, "here's my homework assignment... do it for me" and then disappear.... but helping out is a different story. I like Irish's idea, too, though... a place like that would be nice!

Thanks, all, for the feedback. C1ay, IrishEyes, niviene, I think you’re gotten my point. ”Physics Problem! Help” is the thread that inspired me to suggest it.

I wouldn’t call it “homework help”, though, since we don’t want to encourage a superficial “just get it done” attitude, but rather promote a deep understanding of the subject. “Science problem help” seems better.

I’m pretty new to scienceforums, so if more experienced members think such a forum would be too subject to abuse or neglect, I bow to their assessment. I suspect a “science problem help” forum would be largely self-supporting, with the helped returning as helpers, requiring just a quick read and occasional correction from our longer-educated members.

Another example of the perils of “help” posts in the “Physics and math” forum: http://hypography.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3288. Here, it appears that downthread, folk confused the request for help in understanding a science problem with a challenge to solve the problem, and blithely gave the answer!

It would be nice if the site’s engine could display forum-specific guidelines. Otherwise, there’s nothing to dissuade folk from the same follies, even if “help” threads have their own forum.

• 2 weeks later...
How about a separate forum for requests for help with basic subject matter questions, homework, and the like?

Homework consulting invariably leads to abuse. The object of homework is not to submit an answer - it's been done by whole classes year after year. The answer doesn't change. The object of homework is to personally learn how to obtain the answer. That is done by screwing your butt into a chair and doing it - or sweating blood as you learn how to do it. Homework will not accomplish its purpose if it shortcuts to mere answers.

If a git doesn't know, can't figure it out from course materials, and won't use Google to research it or cheat it, the git deserves to die. Think of it as evolution in action. Anybody sufficiently sly to exploit the current structure has earned a future berth in management.

folk confused the request for help in understanding a science problem with a challenge to solve the problem, and blithely gave the answer!
I wouldn't say one thing was confused with the other, I think Infamous was only trying to be helpful. By trying to convert into feet and pounds and getting it wrong he probably confused and discouraged poor Jumpulas, so I thought it better to just show that it's simple. Anyway, if I were his physics teacher I wouldn't call "92 HP" the answer!

When someone asks help with something as simple as that, I tend to suppose they are needing a kick-start and possibly in a bit of a panic.