Science Forums

Where Our Spiritual Experiences Live

hazelm

Dr.  John Petrovic says "spirituality" is not the same as "religion". And I agree.   Therefore I put this in Biology.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/06/180601170056.htm

Scientists have identified a possible neurobiological home for spiritual experiences - the sense of connection to something greater than oneself.

The follow-up "related stories" are quite enticing, also.  I hope they have very good evidence for relating religion to epilepsy.  Sounds like a bit of a stretch to me.  Guess I'll take a look.

• 3 months later...

During brain surgery, a doctor probed the patient's various sectors of his brain.

Repeatedly the doctor said, "Is that you?"

"No," answered the patient," that's my arm."

"No, that's my stomach.  That's my ear.  That's another body part."

Nowhere could the surgeon touch where the patient replied "That's me."

So there is no "YOU" inside you.

We're not physical bodies having a spiritual experience.  We're spiritual beings having a physical experience.

I can tell you exactly where you are located, it can be found by an old method of psychiatric treatment, your soul is essentially the the frontal lobes related to higher reasoning. There is banned treatment for mental illness called a frontal lobotomy which took away the ability of humans to do higher reasoning with the removal of the frontal lobes the person began to not be able to solve problems or even communicate properly unable to process the data being fed into their brain. The Damage caused to the frontal lobes by the lobotomy often greatly decreased intelligence, reasoning abilities, Self Control, emotional range, and overall self awareness. In many ways, you could say they were removing the conscious part of you by damaging this area of the brain via breaking the connections in this area.

cns-pic.png  

Edited by VictorMedvil