Science Forums

Time

drme1981

Our perception of time is based on sequence and duration.

In relativity, time dilation occurs due to relative velocity.

It is not the case that time has slowed down, but that the duration has been extended.

No matter which direction you are travelling, the results would be the same.

So, No, time does not have velocity, and because it is incremental, it would not have direction.

Originally posted by: Lord Henry Wotton

Time has relative velocity and direction.

Did anybody see how fast that minute was travelling...and which way did it go ?

Time is Relative TO velocity, irrespective of direction.

A object travelling towards you at 163,000 miles per second and another travelling away from you at the same speed (assuming you are stationary) will measure time at the same rate.

the velocity of time depends on ones self. to us, every knows how fast time goes. to a fly, its faster (fly sees stuffs slower b/c they move so fast, act so fast and live so fast), when we go near the speed of light, it becomes slower.

it does have a direction, whatever direction.

actually, time is nothing, its not matter nor energy.

it doesnt exist, its just an idea of human, a feeling of us.

humans compare the things around us. The moon, the sun and the earth, by comparing the changes around these objects that are important to us, time is made.

If time does not exist how can it have velocity or direction ?

Our Universe has 3+1 dimensions. The +1 being a virtual dimension - Time.

Being virtual, as you say, it doesn't exists.

Nothing happens to our Time as we approach the speed of light - 1 second still ticks by on a clock the same way it does a slower speeds.

Our Time relative to somebody stationary would pass slower, that's Relativity.

i shouldnt have said that it has direction and speed. speed, means a thing that goes through a certain distances in a certain time. time is not a thing, if you say time is a dimension and time goes, that means the whole world is going forward in the dimension of time at the speed of time, and all other worlds are traveling the same way at the same speed? if a world stops or slows down, worlds would crash each other??...... time is not a thing, it cannot moves, its not like a particle moving forward, so it doesnt has a speed, and so there is no direction...

actually time really doesnt exist. time is just a comparison. if everyone in the world stoped, to us, time would stop. everything in science is to us, only. b/c we only know about ourselves.

do you know what a dog thinks? or a fly? or a bird? or a fish? they might see the world differently. time, is a idea of us, a relationship or comparsion between changes.

Rather than does time have velocity and direction, a better question would be What is Time.

Time is a common reference that we use to measure duration.

It doesn't matter where you are on Earth, the same reference holds true (when stationary).

Variations in this common reference occur with velocity and proximately to a gravity well.

This would imply that there is a Universal Standard Time.

The basis for this UST would have to be one of the fundemental building blocks of the Universe because it would have to exist everywhere.

Due to our proximately to a gravity well, it would follow that the measurement that we use to determine time is effected by the gravity well. In addition to this you would have to factor in the velocity of our planet and galaxy - Earth's relative velocity is in the region of 1% the speed of light.

Relative to a point outside of any effects from gravity wells and velocity our time would appear to be slower.

So what we perceive as Time is in the region of 99.99% UST

If Time is based upon a fundemental building block of the Universe, what is this illusive component ?

There is a link between Time and Mass.The relationship between Time dilation and relativistic mass is constant. So the assumption has to be that whatever is responsible for our perception of Time is also directly repsonsible for Mass.

There is only one particle that we know of that has no mass, the photon.

All other particles have properties of mass, even down to the level of quarks.

Quarks, because they have mass, will presumably have Time.

So the answer to what governs our perception of Time must lie somewhere between the Photon and the bottom order quarks.

...Maybe...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Originally posted by: wepe

quote: 1 second still ticks by on a clock the same way it does a slower speeds.

as you enter a black hole past the event horizon time will slow down and eventully the last second will take forever before it ticks

The graviational forces would rip the clock apart, so in theory that last second would not last forever, it would not exist at all.

• 1 month later...

some remarks:

webfeet wrote:

There is only one particle that we know of that has no mass, the photon

well this isn't true. Some other particles (namely the 8 gluons, the graviton, and maybe the stable tachyon) also have 0 mass. furthermore: Your coupling of mass to the structure of time is correct, but since E=mc^2, Energy and mass are equivalent. so also massless particles 'notice' time.

The idea of Chitownloft of entropy i find quite nice; never heard of it. but you still have some 'chicken and the egg' discussion: Does entropy encrease because time travels in a certain direction, or does the requirement that entropy should increase forces time to travel that way? i don't know (a lot of work these days is done on evolution of entropy on cosmological scales; if annyone knows more about that i would like to know!)

Also something maybe nice to say in this discussion is that antimatter effectively behaves exactly like normal matter if time would run the other way (and normal matter would behave like antimatter...)

Bo

As I understand it, a quantum black hole acts more like the reversal of normal time/space; upon crossing the event horizon (assuming you're not destroyed) space has collapsed to a 1 dimentional manifold; forward is the ONLY direction. Time however becomes malliable, so you can travel through time with ease, but are locked into a complete forward movement.

Bo,

I've not read anything regarding anti-matter having similar characteristics as matter in reversed time. If you have the time, could you please tell me more about this. I'm trying to understand both time and light. I've yet to truly grasp time, and this appears quite relevant.

Thanks