Science Forums

Reverse Engineering Fake News Using Computer Programming

Can we program a computer to reverse engineer the underlying algorithms behind fake news ?

Maybe, if we identify algorithms used in Fake News like -

1. Illogical assumptions - For instance, If I like Germany, I dislike Sierra Leone. This is a giveaway. It is as absurd as saying, if I like ice-cream, I dislike donuts.
  2. Reinforcement of stereotypes - For instance, if I sport an unkempt beard, I am of questionable character. This is absurd. The person could be a bum who can't afford a shaving kit. Or he could be the contestant on a reality TV show, who is moving around incognito !.  :beer-fresh: 

Do you agree ?  :vava: 

And can you suggest some algorithms that could add to this list ?

• 3 weeks later...

Can we program a computer to reverse engineer the underlying algorithms behind fake news ?

Maybe, if we identify algorithms used in Fake News like -

1. Illogical assumptions - For instance, If I like Germany, I dislike Sierra Leone. This is a giveaway. It is as absurd as saying, if I like ice-cream, I dislike donuts.
  2. Reinforcement of stereotypes - For instance, if I sport an unkempt beard, I am of questionable character. This is absurd. The person could be a bum who can't afford a shaving kit. Or he could be the contestant on a reality TV show, who is moving around incognito !.  :beer-fresh: 

Do you agree ?  :vava: 

And can you suggest some algorithms that could add to this list ?

1] What do either of these have to do with deciphering fake news? What algorithm out there thinks that beards mean questionable character?

2] The problem is that this can (indeed, must) be manipulated for the benefit of those who curate the news. You would immediately be in a position where you could not trust your news because it's being filtered by someone who has decided what is and is not fake news. Facebook is guilty of this. They curate what news they want you to see.

Edited by DaveC426913