Science Forums

Flash "popups"?

hazelm

I have a mystery question.  Actually, I am just curious. Nothing comes of it.  I just wonder what it is. It is only happening at Hypography.  So, must be part of this forum.  Please explain.

As I scroll down the various sections to see what has been posted, every once in a while a - what to call it? - square "message" frame pops up.  It goes by so fast that I do not get to read it.  And each one is different.  At first I thought it was happening when my mouse arrow happened to touch a particular name or word but that doesn't seem to be it.  In a way it's like it is taking a picture.  By that I only mean it comes and goes that fast - like the old-time cameras with the open/close lens.

Can somebody solve my mystery, please?  Thanks.

Do you have other windows open as you browse Hypography?

Do you keep your computer up to date with the latest OS/software updates?

Do you have a decent anti virus and scan regularly?

Do you click on unsolicited emails and follow links?

Do you click on sensational adverts on websites?

Whew!  Sounds like third degree!  :-)

All answers are the appropriate ones and I did finally find out what it was.  I'd suspected this but wasn't holding the mouse steady enough.  Mouse over a member's name in just the right spot and then hold it steady.  I was not getting in the exact spot.

Just took some practice.  Thank you.

Hazel I think I may know what this is. 

If you use your pointer to "hover" over the identity of the person posting the message, you get a window that provides details of that person. The identity of the last poster is given immediately below the subject of the thread, so if you are looking for the subject of the thread and you are a bit off-target, you get this window telling you about the person posting. 

Hazel I think I may know what this is. 

If you use your pointer to "hover" over the identity of the person posting the message, you get a window that provides details of that person. The identity of the last poster is given immediately below the subject of the thread, so if you are looking for the subject of the thread and you are a bit off-target, you get this window telling you about the person posting. 

You are right, exchemist.  I apparently was not holding the mouse steady.  Perhaps the sudden surprise appearance and disappearance caused me to pull the mouse even further off.  But, I have it now and spent some fun time looking at some of the IDs.  Rally liked what Farming Guy wrote.  Great recommendation for this forum.

Thanks much  There are other things I need to figure out how to do here.  Just haven't had time.  Too busy keeping warm in the "hanger-on" winter.

Happy day. 

Oh, I agree.  So much to keep watching.  Sometimes, too much.  Didn't television enter our lives much more easily than internet has?

I don't know about that hazelm, maybe if you had to build your own TV set. ;)

The first time I connected to the internet was around 1994 and I had to dial up STD (Subscriber Trunk Dialing, per minute rate) to my state capital, either after 7pm during the week, after 12 noon on Saturdays or on Sundays as they had the cheapest rates. Once you got onto the internet back then you had to set up your own server for mail or if you wanted to have a website you had to set up your own server. These servers were only active when you dialled in much like the earlier BBS's (Bulletin Board Systems). If you were lucky you had a 2400 baud modem as the 900 baud modems were cheaper but much slower.

If you didn't want to set up servers you could either browse the limited number of websites available or surf the earliest usenet newsgroups. To download an image from a usenet newsgroup you had to basically download all of the parts of the image and then run a program that unpacked them and joined the image back together. 

I don't know about that hazelm, maybe if you had to build your own TV set. ;)

The first time I connected to the internet was around 1994 and I had to dial up STD (Subscriber Trunk Dialing, per minute rate) to my state capital, either after 7pm during the week, after 12 noon on Saturdays or on Sundays as they had the cheapest rates. Once you got onto the internet back then you had to set up your own server for mail or if you wanted to have a website you had to set up your own server. These servers were only active when you dialled in much like the earlier BBS's (Bulletin Board Systems). If you were lucky you had a 2400 baud modem as the 900 baud modems were cheaper but much slower.

If you didn't want to set up servers you could either browse the limited number of websites available or surf the earliest usenet newsgroups. To download an image from a usenet newsgroup you had to basically download all of the parts of the image and then run a program that unpacked them and joined the image back together. 

But isn't that what I said?  Television entered and progressed much more easily.  And, yes, some people built their own sets just as, still earlier, some built their own radios.  But, if you could afford to buy one, you simply turned it on and fiddled with the aerial to get rid of the "snow" and there you were with all your neighbors coming in to help you enjoy this new creation.  What you did not have to worry about is reflected in your list of questions.  Life just seems to get more complicated with each step forward. 

I have the 1960 version of the following book "ELECTRONIC NOVELTIES FOR THE CONSTRUCTOR", so I would have to say that constructing an early TV, even in 1960, was much more difficult than buying a $20 kit, with everything supplied, from your newsagent in 1994, 34 years later.

After purchasing the book for 5 Shillings you then had to source all of the components and then build your TV set. Look at the cover "... what is probably the simplest and least expensive COMPLETE HOME TELEVISION CLOSED-CIRCUIT SYSTEM to be published."

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1962-ELECTRONIC-NOVELTIES-for-the-CONSTRUCTOR-Model-Railway-POCKET-VALVE-RADIO/111722618933?hash=item1a032fe035:g:zxIAAMXQfvlSlVI6

I have the 1960 version of the following book "ELECTRONIC NOVELTIES FOR THE CONSTRUCTOR", so I would have to say that constructing an early TV, even in 1960, was much more difficult than buying a $20 kit, with everything supplied, from your newsagent in 1994, 34 years later.

After purchasing the book for 5 Shillings you then had to source all of the components and then build your TV set. Look at the cover "... what is probably the simplest and least expensive COMPLETE HOME TELEVISION CLOSED-CIRCUIT SYSTEM to be published."

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1962-ELECTRONIC-NOVELTIES-for-the-CONSTRUCTOR-Model-Railway-POCKET-VALVE-RADIO/111722618933?hash=item1a032fe035:g:zxIAAMXQfvlSlVI6

But, you see, you didn't "have to" do that.  Just buy a TV ready-made.  For some people, it's the fun of doing it yourself.  Like a hobby.