Science Forums

Tesla Auto-Pilot

http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/31/technology/tesla-model-x-crash-autopilot/index.html

As it is with most new transport technology driverless cars have to endure some growing pains. Unfortunately sometimes these growing pains result in fatalities.

With all the variables considered of highway driving, it's amazing these cars can do what they do in my opinion. I'm a little confused by the story though, it says the driver was given warnings. Was it in a certain mode that shares responsibility of hazards along the chosen route?

I'm sure it has the ability to switch to allow total human control when asked to, but I was under the impression that in driverless mode the driver could basically ignore the road. Even recline the seat and get some sleep if he or she chose to. In other words I was thinking that this wasn't so much a "driver assist" setting, but a "total" hand over to the car and its navigation technology.

I feel certain that if all vehicles on the road were suddenly converted to computer control this would work. I'm just curious if anyone out there would trust or be willing to buy/use a driverless car with the current level of the technology that exists?