Science Forums

Why Chinese Are Eating Dogs?

inverse

I predict that dogs are speaking according to chinese and are saying "good!" in chinese language. look and think 

when dogs are barking ,they say "haô!" , "haô!" and this conforms to 好! 好! in chinese. 

chinese is a tonal language.

is my idea correct?

or why do they eat dogs?

Edited by inverse

• 1 month later...

I predict that neither dogs, nor cats, nor pigs, nor ducks, nor cows, nor sheep, nor goats, nor muskrats, nor beavers, nor rats, nor hamsters, nor deer, nor moose, nor bass, nor salmon, nor, tilapia, nor roaches, nor spiders, nor crawfish, nor crickets, nor any other animal other than humans that are speaking Chinese are speaking in Chinese.

Your idea is only correct if you are willing to contort your understanding of a sound made by an animal other than a human as having a particular meaning.  It is clear that you have provided precisely no evidence that the sounds given by a particular animal means that it shouldn't be eaten by humans.

Why do they eat dogs?  You tell me.  There's quite a few Chinese that won't eat dogs, so your original presumption is already false.  I guess that those that do eat dog meat do so because dogs are easily domesticated.

You could make the argument that we shouldn't kill sentient beings for sustenance.  This isn't the argument that you seem to be making, though.  Instead, you are making a ludicrous argument that one species makes a sound that is relatively close to a sound that some humans make that has a meaning, and therefore we shouldn't eat them.

Why do they eat dogs?  Why not?

• 4 weeks later...

There are approximately 1.4 billion Chinese nationals.  Unless you are asserting that all 1.4 billion of them consider dogs a source of food, then your claim that "Chinese consider dogs a source of food" is simply false.

The OP makes a claim that can be shown to be silly, we shouldn't even be considering this claim that people eat an animal because the animal says "good" in their language.  This seems to me to be a correlation versus causation fallacy.  "Moo" doesn't translate as "good" in English, but I will eat the flesh of a cow without giving it a second thought.  I won't eat the flesh of a dog, but I recognize that this is due to societal norms, not to the sound that the animal makes or what words that sounds like in my language.  Silk worms don't make a sound that is recognizable in any human language I am aware of, but they are considered a food source in some cultures.

Edited by JMJones0424

• 1 month later...

My sister-in-law is from the Philippines, and from what I've a heard, a few natives from their country are doing the same thing. To clarify, only a "few," meaning that not all people from the Philippines are into eating dogs as well. I asked more about this and my sister-in-law says that it roots back to some of their primitive ancestors who would just head out to hunt and eat animals (any form) in order to maintain their daily sustenance.  Heck, she even says that up to this day, some Philippine natives are into eating crispy-fried crickets.