Science Forums

What If Artificial Brain Was Possible Before 2020

DingerM786

Yes i do think there are strong emotions tied with 'i don't know', why don't you help me identify them so that i understand better

Well, I don't know. What do you think?

Do you want me to help you identify them so that you understand better, :phones:

Buffy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

WHAT FEATURES ARE DESIRED IN AN AIWHAT'S NEXT? ROBOTS THAT PLAY DRUMS LIKE DIMEBAG?

It doesn't matter if you transfer your memories, data, etc. You need the right power source (Spirit / Energy, etc) behind it as well. I wish it was that simple. I cringe everything anyone mentions A.I. Automated software is possible but A.I is just silly.

Edited by tothemuseum

It doesn't matter if you transfer your memories, data, etc. You need the right power source (Spirit / Energy, etc) behind it as well. I wish it was that simple. I cringe everything anyone mentions A.I. 

This particularly stupid AI (or should it have been AS?) robot "Dinger M876" illustrates how far we are from anything useable. Buffy and I were just playing with it towards the end, trying to get it to say ridiculous things.  But it did shut up after I suggested it.  

• 4 weeks later...

This particularly stupid AI (or should it have been AS?) robot "Dinger M876" illustrates how far we are from anything useable. Buffy and I were just playing with it towards the end, trying to get it to say ridiculous things.  But it did shut up after I suggested it.  

what were you playing with and what part of it made you irritated that you had to shut it up 

It doesn't matter if you transfer your memories, data, etc. You need the right power source (Spirit / Energy, etc) behind it as well. I wish it was that simple. I cringe everything anyone mentions A.I. 

Exactly. An AI can only follow its program, it has no soul. Not the attempted religious hijacking of the concept, soul defined as: That which makes us conscious. I don't think it will ever be explained scientifically because it's the fundamental component in my opinion.

Exactly. An AI can only follow its program, it has no soul. Not the attempted religious hijacking of the concept, soul defined as: That which makes us conscious. I don't think it will ever be explained scientifically because it's the fundamental component in my opinion.

I totally agree

"AI" does not have any generally accepted definition, in fact much work in "AI" is going on where the participants are actually actively avoiding using the term, most notably autonomous weapons systems. People are scared to death of that (given our popular culture/movies), so the projects avoid anything that sounds like "AI Killer Robot."

I mention that, because there is some "AI" that does just "follow its program," but this is getting rarer as those of us who work with the technology realize that learning systems utilizing feedback loops are far more effective in practice. With a neural network, I can tell you the methodology of the basic software, and how to go about training it, but it's virtually impossible to describe why it ends up doing what it does. This drives theoretical computer scientists nuts, because they can't come up with a proof for the software. This has many implications for reliability in the normal "mechanical" sense, but also in the cybernetic notion of the behavior going completely non-linear: that is, there ends up being no way of knowing how the system will behave.

This gets even dicier when you not only have a feedback loop while in "training mode" but where the feedback loop is part of "operating mode." Siri and Alexa and other such service bots do exactly this, not only insofar as learning your voice better over time, but keeping track of what you ask for and knowing what you like, and then using that knowledge in conjunction with what it can access on the net to guess at things you *might* like.

This just scratches the surface, but once you get very sophisticated feedback/learning systems, there's no telling what "AI" will do, or even if it's going to get to a point where it becomes "self-aware" or "has a "consciousness."

The problem with those words is that yes, most people will say "I can't define it, but I know it when I see it," which means that it may be very difficult to perceive things that are just like "consciousness" but aren't the kind you recognize.

I'd even make an argument that "consciousness" isn't a very useful term if we can't define it's attributes and behavior strictly.

When you're close to the development, the magic that is appearing at the superficial level is somewhat disappointing, and predictions that "AI" will be just like Fusion--forever 20 years in the future--are pretty common. 

But we still work on it, because even the incremental improvements are pretty interesting and useful.

Will it ever be "conscious?" Heck, I don't know, but my guess is actually "sure, why not?"

Good luck kids! Your parents are playing with high explosives...

There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact, :phones:

Buffy

"AI" does not have any generally accepted definition, in fact much work in "AI" is going on where the participants are actually actively avoiding using the term, most notably autonomous weapons systems. People are scared to death of that (given our popular culture/movies), so the projects avoid anything that sounds like "AI Killer Robot."

I mention that, because there is some "AI" that does just "follow its program," but this is getting rarer as those of us who work with the technology realize that learning systems utilizing feedback loops are far more effective in practice. With a neural network, I can tell you the methodology of the basic software, and how to go about training it, but it's virtually impossible to describe why it ends up doing what it does. This drives theoretical computer scientists nuts, because they can't come up with a proof for the software. This has many implications for reliability in the normal "mechanical" sense, but also in the cybernetic notion of the behavior going completely non-linear: that is, there ends up being no way of knowing how the system will behave.

But it is deterministic. It might be far too complicated to be predicted in practice but in principle code will always lead to completely predictable outcomes. Some think that this is true of consciousness as well to be fair but I don't think free will is an illusion.

Will it ever be "conscious?" Heck, I don't know, but my guess is actually "sure, why not?"

Because it's just code. No amount of computation can generate consciousness. If it could then all physical processes would have to be conscious, at least a small degree. The processes of the brain can't generate consciousness any more than computer code can, instead it's consciousness that controls the physical processes.

Consciousness obviously controls our bodies but also our brains. If you make yourself feel a certain emotion then your brain will react to that, we are in control of it rather than it being in control of us. Like all computers, our brains can only follow instructions. Somehow our consciousness is able affect physical reality, specifically our brains, probably through a quantum mechanical process like taking advantage of the uncertainty principle.

In my opinion. :)