Science Forums

Covalent Bonding Of Steel And Aluminum Question

Good Morning:

I grew up around a marine enviroment where the term "covalent bonding" was used frequently. I have a laymans understanding of the process, which basically stated never to bolt steel to aluminum.

I'm building a motorcycle, and unlike the old days where steel and iron were the primary metals, now aluminum and its alloys are predominate. My concern is that many of my parts both steel and aluminum are bolted to each other. I guess old notions die hard, but is there reason for concern?  Thanks   

Good Morning:

I grew up around a marine enviroment where the term "covalent bonding" was used frequently. I have a laymans understanding of the process, which basically stated never to bolt steel to aluminum.

I'm building a motorcycle, and unlike the old days where steel and iron were the primary metals, now aluminum and its alloys are predominate. My concern is that many of my parts both steel and aluminum are bolted to each other. I guess old notions die hard, but is there reason for concern?  Thanks   

OK, covalent bonding is not relevant here. This an issue of electrochemistry. 

What I think you will be referring to is galvanic corrosion of aluminium in contact with steel, in salty environments. There is something about this here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion 

There is some practical guidance here about the risks in practice of using steel and Al together: http://www.aluminiumdesign.net/design-support/aluminium-corrosion-resistance/

The upshot sees to be that the risk is not that great...unless you are in a salty environment.