Science Forums

Political Consensus

questor

Anarchism

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Anarchism in culture.

Anarchism is a term which encompasses a variety of political philosophies, social movements, and political ideologies that advocate the abolition of all forms of coercion. Individual freedom and opposition to the State are the unvarying principles of anarchism; less agreed upon are such matters as the role of violence in changing society, the preferred type of economic system, the support, rejection, or interpretation of egalitarian ideals, and the degree of organization desirable to effect social change.

The terms "anarchy" and "anarchism" are derived from the Greek αναρχία ("without archons (rulers)"). Thus "anarchism," in its most general meaning, is the belief that rulership is unnecessary and should be abolished. The word "anarchy", as most anarchists use it, does not imply chaos or anomie, but rather a stateless society with voluntary social harmony. All proponents of anarchism argue that relations based upon voluntary cooperation (as opposed to statism) will lead to a society of free individuals

my words: read the last sentence. it states ''that relations based upon voluntary

cooperation''.... how can you have this voluntary cooperation without consensus?

___Again, I do not propose anarchy or support its view. I support challenging authority with reason.

___As if the ten commandments were the end-all be-all of moral grounds; I do not concede this. Unless you can produce the supposed god that gave them, I throw out the "have no gods before me" right off the top. Then there's the debate about whether they say don't "murder" or don't "kill". Out Then out with taking god's name in vain. What honor is due an abusive parent? Out. Dont lie? Out as from our earlier discussion. Adultery by whose definition? Catholics? Baptists? Muslims? Jews? Tribes in New Guinea? Out.

___It is a paradox in that the main consensus you bring me to is that we disagree. :)

___We kind of swayed from the political aim of the discussion; no harm no foul I suppose as the subject seems at every turn to fall back to moral questions & then fall yet again to one of religion. Nonetheless, the very idea of a complete consensus in politics or any subject flys in the face of the bell curve. What percentage of agreement defines a consensus anyway? 100%, simple majority? It's just not going to happen. In the end, we must each decide for ourselves. :)

Turtle, you seem like a nice sort of person, but perhaps not a leadership type, as you admittted. i see things more as black and white and i think people who influence others must have strong convictions and the energy to act upon them. i am aware of tyrants, demagogues,fanatics of all types who may posses these traits and use them for evil, but these people are easy to spot because their activities are obviously outside societal rules. you don't seem to care for God, and you don't seem to realize that what you call morals comes from the body of laws handed down through the ages and includes the 10 commandments. with a lack of consensus on very basic issues such as honesty, integrity,

the value of work, the value of good education, personal responsibility, and private ownership a free society cannot endure.

Anarchism

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Anarchism in culture.

Anarchism is a term which encompasses a variety of political philosophies, social movements, and political ideologies that advocate the abolition of all forms of coercion. Individual freedom and opposition to the State are the unvarying principles of anarchism; less agreed upon are such matters as the role of violence in changing society, the preferred type of economic system, the support, rejection, or interpretation of egalitarian ideals, and the degree of organization desirable to effect social change.

The terms "anarchy" and "anarchism" are derived from the Greek αναρχία ("without archons (rulers)"). Thus "anarchism," in its most general meaning, is the belief that rulership is unnecessary and should be abolished. The word "anarchy", as most anarchists use it, does not imply chaos or anomie, but rather a stateless society with voluntary social harmony. All proponents of anarchism argue that relations based upon voluntary cooperation (as opposed to statism) will lead to a society of free individuals

my words: read the last sentence. it states ''that relations based upon voluntary

cooperation''.... how can you have this voluntary cooperation without consensus?

a true anarchist does stand against coercion, violence, chaos, anome, because these things only hinder the progression of the individual.any egalitarian ideals that are agree upon by anarchist are those that help in the progression of the individual.

yes the anarchists would have to reach a consensus in order to have voluntary cooperation that will lead to a society of free individuals.

well we dont have enough anarchists who would say no to coercion, violence,agression and negativeness?