Science Forums

The 'logic' And Certainty (And Perils) Of '2 + 2 = 4'

scherado

I don't see my name on the list could you do me a big favor and add it?

Patience, all in good time. I populate my list. You are responsible for your list.

On the other hand, if you mail me a fifty dollar bill, I will add you to my list. PM me with the details.

While I wait for that, do you think it dangerous to apply "2+2 logic" to complex subjects, such as biological evolution, or cosmology and such?

Allrighty then, let's get the "fun" part out of the way:

In the early 90's I bought the CD White Bread Blues, by Victims Family and in the song, Supermarket Nightmare can be found these lines:

I know "we are not what we eat, we are what we don't *****"

And that is it.

(* Hugh Romney)

(_^_)

Rhymes with "it", begins with "sh"; The bleep word having the synonym "excrete": We are not what we eat, we are what we don't excrete.

Having disposed of that "truism", on to the meaning of "2 + 2".

In the grade-school classroom, we learned addition of....

...of what? And how?

Claim: 2+2=4

Rebuttal: You're not a Lord, therefore you're wrong.

In my world, everyone is entitled to a theory so long as it adds up as well as does 2+2. [emoticon omitted for clarity] What we know is that there followed tranquility. But the mystery still exists. The authors say "Great rewards lie in store for those who can resolve this mystery.

Let us begin...to "separate the men from the boys." (I will post, later, some detail on the error of "you are what you eat" so-called truism.)

The first thing is that I change the "2+2" part of the "claim"; let's allow "2 + 2" to be substituted with "1 + 3" (or 3+1).

The reason is to remove the irrelevant (and erroneous) impression of symmetry between the operands. The putative logic that is associated with the appeal to "2 + 2", must apply generally--no one would assert that the logic applies only for the natural number '2'; therefore, we can use x + y = z, where all are of the set Natural Numbers (I don't use "Whole Numbers" as to not drag in zero, though some include zero in that set--not for this topic.)

I will pause here to determine whether anyone disputes the above--or would like to "anticipate" where I am going with this treatment of "2+2", the logic of, (or "2+2=4, if you like).

• 3 weeks later...