Science Forums

Food Bots

Consider a recipe with the following ingredients :

* parmesan cheese

* bread crumbs (for binding)

* egg yolk

* fresh lime

* grated nutmeg (spices)

* wine (optional - could be used for flambe)

Can we have a computer that can analyze the ingredients, suggest a process flow, and generate a recipe as a result ?

The user interface could be a person-friendly chat bot.

The cloud could act as a common repository for the large volume of data for recipes from all over the world, and could even generate cross-national hybrid recipes as a result.  :innocent: 

It already exists.

Now your list is worthy of Chopped, and even there, you're not required to use all the ingredients in one dish, just in one food course. So "use ALL these ingredients, in one dish" would, if you chose like you did here result in a suggestion of "you're nuts."

I can tell you don't cook though, and would need this program: you can't "flambe" with alcohol that's less than 100 proof. Down to 60 proof it'll sorta ignite, but it doesn't do much. This is why a lot of us always have Bacardi 151 on hand. For example for Banana's Foster, I always use a mix of 151, brandy and banana liqueur, tossing in cinnamon for flaming sparkles. Fun! [Professional on a closed course: Do not attempt]

In France, cooking is a serious art form and a national sport, :phones:
Buffy

It already exists.

Now your list is worthy of Chopped, and even there, you're not required to use all the ingredients in one dish, just in one food course. So "use ALL these ingredients, in one dish" would, if you chose like you did here result in a suggestion of "you're nuts."

I can tell you don't cook though, and would need this program: you can't "flambe" with alcohol that's less than 100 proof. Down to 60 proof it'll sorta ignite, but it doesn't do much. This is why a lot of us always have Bacardi 151 on hand. For example for Banana's Foster, I always use a mix of 151, brandy and banana liqueur, tossing in cinnamon for flaming sparkles. Fun! [Professional on a closed course: Do not attempt]

Buffy

Well, in fact you can get flames for a short while if you add something like vermouth to a dish: the alcohol comes off faster than the water. Flambe is normally done with things such as brandy which are 40% proof. But again, as with Christmas pudding, one heats the alcohol and sets fire to the vapour coming off.  

My recollection is that the original "proof" spirit was the weakest concentration that would not prevent the ignition of gunpowder soaked in it. 

It already exists.

Buffy

A bot would make the UI more relevant and obviate the need to use the kind of text based search supported by the website given in your link... it could use machine learning and AI to make the experience akin to that of dealing with a Michelin 3 Star Chef:bow:

Edited by petrushkagoogol

Well, in fact you can get flames for a short while if you add something like vermouth to a dish: the alcohol comes off faster than the water. Flambe is normally done with things such as brandy which are 40% proof. But again, as with Christmas pudding, one heats the alcohol and sets fire to the vapour coming off.  

Exactly, it's the vapors, which at the point they're gaseous are a much higher proof. And since it's combusting *above* the food, it does practically nothing in terms of actually affecting its heat let alone the light scorching you're trying to achieve with a flambe (which is less than a torch like you'd use on a brulee).

Still pretty though! :cheer:

A party without cake is just a meeting, :phones:

Buffy

A bot would make the UI more relevant and obviate the need to use the kind of text based search supported by the website given in your link... it could use machine learning and AI to make the experience akin to that of dealing with a Michelin 3 Star Chef:bow:

Add text to speech and enhance the user experience further ....