Science Forums

Time Travel Project...

Originally posted by: Uncle Martin

Lincoln being an Atheist or not seems rather inconsequential at this point. I do however think that politicians felt obligated to make an attempt to please everyone in 1864 as much as they do today. We all know that they will say whatever is necessary, to attain or retain office, with no regard for what their actual convictions are.

NOW we're off topic.

Ops sorry, got going from your lead on your geographic "time travel".

Hi Unc, and thanks. It's been a rough week, and hopefully things will get a bit calmer. Thanks also for the gentle "O/T" reminder, and I promise to drop it here, but continue in another topic.

FreeT, I'm starting a topic soon in the P/H forum. I know I don't have to ask, but I'd just LOVE your input! Thanks so much

As for "TIME TRAVEL", I'm going to agree with both Unc and FreeT on this one. Driving into Alabama is truly a step BACK. However, all you really have to do is STAND STILL. Time doesn't stop when you do. You can sit at your computer and stare at the screen all day, and time will be traveling as you sit there. ;~)

Uncle Martin: Time travel is simple really. Just come to Alabama, upon arrival you will find yourself in the mid 1800s.

Now, t'aint nice uv'ya to go pokin' fun at no southern folk. I reckin I'm fixinna roundup the boyz and go a huntin me some Damned Yankee!

(Hey, Uncle Martin, what's the difference beween and Yankee and a damned Yankee?)

PS: If you don't mind, where in AL do you live?

Just South, Southeast of Huntsville. I'd have never, ever guessed you to be a good ol' boy. My judgement must be going.

Regarding your "yankee" question; Of the current residents of Alabama, 86% of them are descended from ancestors whom were not U S citizens prior to 1900. That war was fought before either of our great, great grandfathers(I assume) were even born. My great great grandfather was born in Germany in 1872.

Just a few statistics to go with your sarcastic humor, which I do recognize.

Originally posted by: TeleMad

(Hey, Uncle Martin, what's the difference beween and Yankee and a damned Yankee?)

Damn Yankees don't go home.

Like I told my now ex in-laws after moving down south and marrying a southern bell when they would (jokingly?) refer to me as a carpet bagger. "Well someone's got to run the place, can't expect a southerner to figure it out."

TeleMad: Hey, Uncle Martin, what's the difference beween and Yankee and a damned Yankee?)

Hmmm, I’m surprised you weren’t subjected to this one enough to know the answer. A yankee comes down to visit; a damned yankee comes down to stay :-)

(Oh, I see FreeThinker knows it.)

Uncle Martin: I'd have never, ever guessed you to be a good ol' boy. My judgement must be going.

Don’t worry, you’re not losing it…I didn’t move to Alabama until I was in my thirties.

Originally posted by: Freethinker

"Well someone's got to run the place, can't expect a southerner to figure it out."

My standard answer to the " The South will rise again" statement is "they may actually win next time if you put a yankee in charge." Stupid southern baptist mentality. They are not concerned with the war in Iraq, but that old war b'twixt da states, that's important. Then there's the buybull. I guess the further you go back to antiquity, the more relevent it is to these yahoos.