Science Forums

Is immortality possible?

linuxgeek71

I recently read an article in Technology Review in which a computer scientist claimed to have found a way to become immortal. Has anyone else read this, does anyone else read about the possiblities of immortality?

Well, this is a bit different, to say the least. It surely does belong in this forum (Strange Claims).

Nice one! Wish *I* had though of signing up to a weirdo's affiliate program selling wacky claims, then posted it as a question on a science based board! :xx:

http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id= is what's behind the link... :)

Edit: Oh, and the guy is a total loon. Just read his idea for World Peace! "Get all the countries to become one corporation"! Because companies aren't ever wrong, or go bust, or sue themselves out of existance... :)

The link has nothing to do with what I was talking about, I can't provide a link to the Technology Review article because it requires a paid subscription to view it. I included the link to Chiu's site becuase I want some free magnets to play with and I'm not willing to resort to stealing, if you'll notice the link is seperated from what I wrote that was supposed to signify that it had nothing to do with what I was saying.

The link has nothing to do with what I was talking about, I can't provide a link to the Technology Review article because it requires a paid subscription to view it.

So how did you read it?

I included the link to Chiu's site becuase I want some free magnets to play with and I'm not willing to resort to stealing, if you'll notice the link is seperated from what I wrote that was supposed to signify that it had nothing to do with what I was saying.

And how do you get these free magnets? By getting people to go to his site and buy stuff! As an affiliate link. You could easily have pointed to the right place, rather than his homepage, with an affiliate link.

Good excuse, though. Made me LOL. :xx:

I have a subscription, that is how I was able to read it. I subscribe to the magazine. Would you like the issue and page number?

As far as the magnets go, it doesn't matter if people buy or not (although their are added bonuses for that) I just need 80 clicks (unique clicks, he keeps a log of ip addresses).

The link has nothing to do with what I was talking about, I can't provide a link to the Technology Review article because it requires a paid subscription to view it. I included the link to Chiu's site becuase I want some free magnets to play with and I'm not willing to resort to stealing, if you'll notice the link is seperated from what I wrote that was supposed to signify that it had nothing to do with what I was saying.

Sorry - but when you talk about immortality in the subject of your paragraph and then include a link that has the same word in the URL title, it looks like that's related to what you posted. Not to mention that if you really wanted it to look "separated" you would have said so in your post. After reading the other posts, I'm not even going to merit it with clicking on the link. We are not here to get you some free magnets, and last I checked, spam wasn't acceptable post material. :xx:

Ray Kurzweil doesn't tailgate. A man who plans to live forever doesn't take chances with his health on the highway, or anywhere else.

As part of his daily routine, Kurzweil ingests 250 supplements, eight to 10 glasses of alkaline water and 10 cups of green tea. He also periodically tracks 40 to 50 fitness indicators, down to his "tactile sensitivity.'' Adjustments are made as needed.

"I do actually fine-tune my programming,'' he said.

The famed inventor and computer scientist is serious about his health because if it fails him he might not live long enough to see humanity achieve immortality, a seismic development he predicts in his new book is no more than 20 years away.

More....

Sometimes Ray writes some great stuff like his article on the Law Of Accelerating Returns. At other times you have to wonder if he confuses his dreams with reality.

immortality is possible but who wants to live forever man i just want to do my time get the hell out of here. there are inumerous people who became immortals like jesus , buddha, krishna, muhhamad and many. but after becoming immortal one can always metamorphosise physical bodies out of thin air so they do not need a physical body and donot appear to us. that is why we scarcly believe such things.

• 1 month later...

Could our minds "handle" with immortality? I mean, after many years living in this planet (lets suppose that you are immortal and its you 23535 aniversary!) we would get tired of life. Maybe biologivally or in a neurological way, our body would get "tired" of immortality.

Anyway here some ideas on how you can get immortal (just ideas!):

1- In the future computer evolution will be so powerful that we can "copy" our mind state into a computer. We conect to a computer an then our mind its transfered to the computer (a little like in Matrix movie or like when you copy the contents of a CD into the hard drive). In this way, since there is no body, we could reach a near immortal life.

2- Scientists will discover DNA secrets and stop with agging effects and with diseases like cancer.

3- We have sould and we reeicarnate. We will find that in fact we never die: just change our "shell".

4- We well become addicted to Buddhism and realise that there is nothing to die. We cannot die since we did not born. We are just part of a process. The thing called "i" or "me" its just a part of the universe.

5- Last idea: a mix of the above ideas.

I hope future scientists will devise a way of transferring the consciousness of every being that has ever existed to man-made eternal bodies in a man-made heaven (a few nano seconds before death).

- Time travel needed.

- the man-made eternal bodies & man-made heaven could be an advanced eternal

computer system.

KiZzI :P

• 2 weeks later...

guess I'll just quote my reply from another post or comment.

"Re: United Nations Declaration on Human Cloning

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well its not an issue in my time. clones are all over and are a transport for humans that will soon die. all memories are transfered to the clone and they live another life term. so basically we end up immortals in a sense."

If that were true (I don't believe it is) then transference would be difficult! Having said that, a souless machine would very rapidly seem like it had a mind and soul if a good recreation of a human mind and memories were uploaded or otherwise programmed into it.

Does an atheist have a soul? Or a pagan? Or a clone? Does a baby? Does a baby in the first three seconds of it's conception, when it is still just two cells meeting at random? What about three seconds before? Does a dolphin? Or a clever dog? Or a gorilla?

We can't even decide the rules for "where" and "what" a soul is.