Science Forums

A Thought-Provoking Idea

TheLightOI

How we can end Bloodshed on Earth? How can we achieve Eternal Prosperity? The answer to that lies in the present article. Using Language. Every Single Detail counts. We have created conflicts almost 90% of the time due to misunderstandings. Is there scientific evidence to that?  Objectively, Proper use of Words is the Poisonous Root of the Problem. From there on one can deduct an continuous flow of possible assumptions…..

https://thecrystalspire.wordpress.com

How we can end Bloodshed on Earth? How can we achieve Eternal Prosperity? The answer to that lies in the present article. Using Language. Every Single Detail counts. We have created conflicts almost 90% of the time due to misunderstandings. Is there scientific evidence to that?  Objectively, Proper use of Words is the Poisonous Root of the Problem. From there on one can deduct an continuous flow of possible assumptions…..

What ludicrous bilge. 

World peace would require world uniformity. But then people have always had a problem with uniformity.

Welcome to hypography, TheLightOI! :) Please feel free to start a topic in the introductions forum to tell us something about yourself.

I have a few question and criticism of you post:

How we can end Bloodshed on Earth? How can we achieve Eternal Prosperity? The answer to that lies in the present article.

I expect the answer to these questions to be longer than your post of the blog entry from which it’s copied. Did you write more, or does it end with the ellipsis?

Using Language. Every Single Detail counts. We have created conflicts almost 90% of the time due to misunderstandings. Is there scientific evidence to that?

Many philosophers, sociologists, and psychologist have proposed that failure in communication is a major or the major cause of conflict between individuals and collections, so many I’d describe the idea as “mainstream”. The governmental discipline of diplomacy, which is so old as to be prehistoric, is based on this principle, and institutions like the UN founded on it.

A system that perhaps focuses more than any other on the importance of communication, and the importance of precision of language, is General Semantics, founded in the 1930s by engineer, mathematician, and philosopher Alfred Korzybski. Korzybski believed that wars, such as WWI, in which he was a Russian intelligence officer, and reportedly found horrifying, could be prevented if the language of diplomacy were more like the formal language of mathematics and engineering. He famously contrasted how well engineers designed bridges, compared to how poorly leaders and diplomats designed cooperation and peace treaties.

Regrettably, GS didn’t become the important, society transforming system Korzybski hoped it would. Most government officials and academics to whom I’ve described it were unaware of its existence.

The failure of GS to have an major social impact shows, I think, that it’s fundamental assumptions are somehow wrong, and that peace and prosperity can’t be achieved just through encouraging more precise language. I wish this were not so, as Korzybski’s ideas seem sensible and beautiful to me. I suspect, however, that the lack of precision in language is critically important, in an un-obvious way. This is a major theme in Loise Lowry’s Newbery Medal-winning 1993 novel The Giver

Objectively, Proper use of Words is the Poisonous Root of the Problem.

Do you mean “improper use of words is the poisonous root of the problem?”

From there on one can deduct an continuous flow of possible assumptions…..

Do you mean one can deduce a continuous flow of possible assumptions?

If so, can you describe how? Do your ideas differ in a significant way from General Semantics’?

Excuse me for my misspelling! As you see guys, I'm writing a blog about the effect of deductive reasoning on the cognitive mind (because we know where rational thinking came from), as I will explain later on.

Thank you for your prompt replies!

My original post was not intended something serious :) and Yep (I forgot to introduce myself) 

The purpose of my post is to get some feedback from good science-passionate people like you guys. My goal is to from a critical point of view. 

By bloodshed I simply meant the wars that are happening right now in the world, for example in Syria. Eternal prosperity is meant to represent global peace. 

But, language is only one of the necessary requirements for global prosperity. This an, high scale, long-term multi-variable problem. To solve this we must understand history. The origins of wars are usually religious, territorial and for the remaining, ideological. By flow of assumptions I mean the deductions made from this theories. To seek more explanations and conclusions.

World peace would require world uniformity. But then people have always had a problem with uniformity.

That is a great Idea! Please define uniformity. How can uniformity be achieved? 

Excuse me for my misspelling! As you see guys, I'm writing a blog about the effect of deductive reasoning on the cognitive mind (because we know where rational thinking came from), as I will explain later on.

Thank you for your prompt replies!

My original post was not intended something serious :) and Yep (I forgot to introduce myself) 

The purpose of my post is to get some feedback from good science-passionate people like you guys. My goal is to from a critical point of view. 

By bloodshed I simply meant the wars that are happening right now in the world, for example in Syria. Eternal prosperity is meant to represent global peace. 

But, language is only one of the necessary requirements for global prosperity. This an, high scale, long-term multi-variable problem. To solve this we must understand history. The origins of wars are usually religious, territorial and for the remaining, ideological. By flow of assumptions I mean the deductions made from this theories. To seek more explanations and conclusions.

That is a great Idea! Please define uniformity. How can uniformity be achieved? 

No cultural behaviours, which would mean no roles and functions for anyone. No one has jobs, and to sustain this freedom people worldwide would have to be willing to interact with everyone. British government employees and officials would have to interact with everyone in the Middle East, and all computer programmers in Spain would have to be willing to interact with all people in North America. 

No cultural behaviours, which would mean no roles and functions for anyone. No one has jobs, and to sustain this freedom people worldwide would have to be willing to interact with everyone. British government employees and officials would have to interact with everyone in the Middle East, and all computer programmers in Spain would have to be willing to interact with all people in North America. 

How absurd.  Without diversity, what is the point of interacting with people in all different regions?  I don't travel often, but when I do, I want to experience something different than I can at home.

We need to do different jobs and perform different functions from each other because not everyone can do every job.  We all have different strengths and weaknesses.

Prosperity requires not uniformity, but diversity combined with acceptance and appreciation of our differences.

How absurd.  Without diversity, what is the point of interacting with people in all different regions?  I don't travel often, but when I do, I want to experience something different than I can at home.

We need to do different jobs and perform different functions from each other because not everyone can do every job.  We all have different strengths and weaknesses.

Prosperity requires not uniformity, but diversity combined with acceptance and appreciation of our differences.

What's absurd is expecting the same person to always do the same function. Sorry but that's the status quo of militaries and nations, producing terrorism and condescension. If people want all forms of violence to stop, then they have to acknowledge the right of all people to an ideal routine.

Prosperity is an immoral concept because it's a derivative of hierarchy, needing competitive behaviour.

Other than that, prosperity probably precludes the idea of anyone being called a God or a computer.

Edited by Mariel33

Many philosophers, sociologists, and psychologist have proposed that failure in communication is a major or the major cause of conflict between individuals and collections, so many I’d describe the idea as “mainstream”. The governmental discipline of diplomacy, which is so old as to be prehistoric, is based on this principle, and institutions like the UN founded on it.

A system that perhaps focuses more than any other on the importance of communication, and the importance of precision of language, is General Semantics, founded in the 1930s by engineer, mathematician, and philosopher Alfred Korzybski. Korzybski believed that wars, such as WWI, in which he was a Russian intelligence officer, and reportedly found horrifying, could be prevented if the language of diplomacy were more like the formal language of mathematics and engineering. He famously contrasted how well engineers designed bridges, compared to how poorly leaders and diplomats designed cooperation and peace treaties.

Do your ideas differ in a significant way from General Semantics’?

Thank you for bringing these info!

Before you comment, Check out the World Economic Forum on your Facebook page!

In the present moment, we face the biggest threat to mankind, by living in the Anthropocene: A nuclear war. There is a book called "the Traps of Progress" that demonstrate very well why humanity as come to this point. As we mentionned previously, this topic is vastly spread out.

In my honest opinion, here are the top reasons (some) parts of the world are "corrupted" . (Assuming the world progress is going on a positive trend). (I don't want be too much off-topic, since this is a science forum).  The problems have a certain dependency on each other. To examine this dependency it requires knowledge in applied statistics.

#1 Economic : Income inequality (within a country and world wide). The solution is purely Economics (the field of study I'm currently taking in, although I am also very interested in Behavioural Psychological Economics). Solution: Dismantle this policy: lowering poor countries currency; removing protectionnist barriers, investing in poor countries; encouraging innovation and creates technological infrastructure in third world countries. Access to Water is a very important requirement for many countries! 

#2 Idealogical, religious purpose/psychological: It is the fear of the unknown. Information is the solution to produce ceasefire. When there is asymetric information, it creates a problem. Similarly, the principal-agent case, in a firms, creates problems too. When one fears, one become wild. It happens when the an individual does no know about it's destiny. If the future can be be Predicted, it would be another solution. (That's what I'm trying to work on my blog right now)

Also, racism does still exists. This requires a radical change in people's way of thinking. People judge other people, call them inferior because themselves are not confident, see #4

Furthermore, Human nature is greedy. In Economics, we assume everybody is rational. No more phishing scam, no more fake, cheap product,

#3 Environmental. Resource saving/waste management. Climate change induced problems. The Earth is "weakening" at an increasing rate. Main problems: Iceberg melting. Deforestation. Food poisoning. Air pollution. Sea Damage. This problem requires technology and innovation to solve.

#4 Historical. The West have conquered the Globe, proved decades of uncomparable military and economic superiority over the underdeveloped countries. But forgetting about the past is the best alternative, History is a Great discipline, however we must not base on it for judgement purposes.

Edited by TheLightOI

Thank you for bringing these info!

In the present moment, we face the biggest threat to mankind, by living in the Anthropocene: A nuclear war. There is a book called "the Traps of Progress" that demonstrate very well why humanity as come to this point. As we mentionned previously, this topic is vastly spread out.

In my honest opinion, here are the top reasons (some) parts of the world are "corrupted" . (Assuming the world progress is going on a positive trend). (I don't want be too much off-topic, since this is a science forum). 

#1 Economic : Income inequality (within a country and world wide)

#2 Idealogical, religious purpose/psychological: It is the fear of the unknown. INFORMATION is the solution to produce ceasefire. When there is asymetric information, it creates a problem. Similarly, the principal-agent case, in a firms, creates problems too. When one fears, one become wild. It happens when the an individual does no know about it's destiny. If the future can be be PREDICTED, it would be another solution. (That's what I'm trying to work on my blog right now)Also, racism does still exists. This requires a radical change in people's way of thinking. Furthermore, Human nature is greedy. In Economics, we assume everybody is rational. No more phishing scam, no more fake, cheap product,

#3 Environmental. Resource saving/waste management. Climate change induced problems. This is serious and serious

A way to establish world peace is to make all living beings synonymous with the history of gravity, or atoms. Make people in Mexico and Russia synonymous with the history of gravity going back to 1,000 AD, and make people in Ireland and Iraq synonymous with the element copper going back to 800 AD, and so on and so forth.

#1 Economic : Income inequality (within a country and world wide). The solution is purely Economics (the field of study I'm currently taking in, although I am also very interested in Behavioural Psychological Economics). Solution: Dismantle this policy: lowering poor countries currency; removing protectionnist barriers, investing in poor countries; encouraging innovation and creates technological infrastructure in third world countries. Access to Water is a very important requirement for many countries! 

I don't see income inequality by itself to be a root cause so much as when it is combined with feelings of envy and superiority.  The wealthy feel superior, much as the Europeans felt as they set out to conquer the " savages" and build their empires.  Their sense of superiority justified their conquests to themselves.  Then they went about showing off all the things that they had which the conquered people did not and got them wanting what they had not previously wanted, and so a sense of envy builds up.

Many of the poor countries were not countries, and likely  didn't have the same concepts of poverty and wealth before the Europeans invaded.

Furthermore, Human nature is greedy. In Economics, we assume everybody is rational. No more phishing scam, no more fake, cheap product,

I have to wonder why would anyone ever make the assumption that everybody is rational, especially when you consider the history of the boom - bust economic cycle that keeps repeating itself through modern history.  

The West have conquered the Globe, proved decades of uncomparable military and economic superiority over the underdeveloped countries. But forgetting about the past is the best alternative, History is a Great discipline, however we must not base on it for judgement purposes.

I would caution against forgetting History.  You cannot truly understand where you are if you forget how you got there.  There is an old saying about being doomed to repeat that I am sure must be familiar to those who remember.

What's absurd is expecting the same person to always do the same function. Sorry but that's the status quo of militaries and nations, producing terrorism and condescension. If people want all forms of violence to stop, then they have to acknowledge the right of all people to an ideal routine.

So who decides what constitutes an "ideal " routine?  If you force an ideal upon people you will fuel discontent that will inevitably lead to violence.

Prosperity is an immoral concept because it's a derivative of hierarchy, needing competitive behaviour.

Prosperity requires only that people be allowed to decide for themselves what constitutes happiness and be allowed to reach for it, provided, of course, that they do not harm others.

Edited by Farming guy

I don't see income inequality by itself to be a root cause so much as when it is combined with feelings of envy and superiority.  The wealthy feel superior, much as the Europeans felt as they set out to conquer the " savages" and build their empires.  Their sense of superiority justified their conquests to themselves.  Then they went about showing off all the things that they had which the conquered people did not and got them wanting what they had not previously wanted, and so a sense of envy builds up.

Many of the poor countries were not countries, and likely  didn't have the same concepts of poverty and wealth before the Europeans invaded.

I have to wonder why would anyone ever make the assumption that everybody is rational, especially when you consider the history of the boom - bust economic cycle that keeps repeating itself through modern history.  

I would caution against forgetting History.  You cannot truly understand where you are if you forget how you got there.  There is an old saying about being doomed to repeat that I am sure must be familiar to those who remember.

So who decides what constitutes an "ideal " routine?  If you force an ideal upon people you will fuel discontent that will inevitably lead to violence.

Prosperity requires only that people be allowed to decide for themselves what constitutes happiness and be allowed to reach for it, provided, of course, that they do not harm others.

Not all people can be soldiers, or immigrants, or manual workers, or Oscar winners, or presidents, or taxi drivers, or athletes, or writers, or astronauts, or construction workers, or receptionists, or bankers, or clerks, therefore the ideal routine is whatever means none of these roles.

Indeed, I agree that prosperity is okay as long as it means not forcing people to do what they don't want to do. However, allowing people the freedom from abuse of power requires that all people make the effort of engaging with their fellow human beings, and not wanting to spend their thousands of days ignoring other people.

Presidencies, banks, militaries, jobs and nations are the precise forces that allow people to spend entire lifetimes ignoring the existence of other people.