Science Forums

The Wolf Pack

petrushkagoogol

The wolf pack requires more development of language (barking and body language) skills, so they can interact as a team in hunting situations. Language, in turn, allows a wider range of extrapolations to new situations. This allows wolves to migrate and do well in most environments. They are not dependent on routines and/or fixed ecosystems since they can extrapolate via its members. 

Also a team can be more than the sum of its parts. In sports, periodically, a championship team will be composed of less than the all star players of the league. The team allows even lessor skilled players, to amply themselves, in the context of the team. 

Part of the wolf team tradition involves training via pack competition for alpha dog. They will fight with each other, almost 100%. This is connected to training, with the alpha dog, becoming the pack leader. It also defines the pack hierarchy. The pack leader has the hardest job during the hunt. He does not sit back behind enemy lines barking orders. He is has lead from the front, which is the most dangerous job. The pack hierarchy assures the dog with the best chance of survival; alpha, will be their leader. He has to fight something that can kill him, until the others can out flank the critter. 

• 2 months later...

I'm sure somebody will correct me if this is wrong, but I was under the impression that not all wolves hunt in packs. The Ethiopian wolf, so example.  The American wolf is a pack animal, but the original European wolf was not. I can't find any evidence on the internet for this, but some time ago I read some of  a book about dog training with a new perspective about the origin of the domestic dog. Obviously descended from wolves, but everybody takes the American wolf as an example, and deduces that dogs are, or used to be, animals with a pack instinct. The book took the line that this was all wrong because dogs were descended from European wolves which didn't have this instinct. This might sound academic, but has repercussions in dog training.