Science Forums

Biogeochemical Cycles In An Anoxic Water Body, In An Oxygen Free World.

Hi all,

I am looking at what the different biogeochemical processes and cycles would be in a anoxic water body in an oxygen free world. I've come up with a few basic models but am struggling to find anything online so help would be very much appreciated, i.e. various publications, websites, book chapters and preferably if anyone can help to explain them on here.

I am primarily looking at Nitrogen, Carbon Dioxide, Methane and Hydrogen Sulphide cycles, but obviously all without oxygen.

In this 'fantasy word' all other conditions (temp, light, air pressure etc.) are similar to Earth, allowing water with the presence of bacteriochlorophyll to form.

Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Hi all,

I am looking at what the different biogeochemical processes and cycles would be in a anoxic water body in an oxygen free world. I've come up with a few basic models but am struggling to find anything online so help would be very much appreciated, i.e. various publications, websites, book chapters and preferably if anyone can help to explain them on here.

I am primarily looking at Nitrogen, Carbon Dioxide, Methane and Hydrogen Sulphide cycles, but obviously all without oxygen.

In this 'fantasy word' all other conditions (temp, light, air pressure etc.) are similar to Earth, allowing water with the presence of bacteriochlorophyll to form.

Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks.

You forgot Hydrogen metabolism... 

• 3 weeks later...

Although other oxygen-free metabolisms have been studied, primarily around sub-sea volcanic vents, no hypothesis has been put forward that would provide enough energy for higher biological function than bacteria, tube worms, and shrimp.  I am doubtful that any other gas can support higher life forms, but I try to keep an open mind.