Science Forums

Unexplained Audio Experience

Maine farmer

The other night while the fan was running in the bedroom window, I could have sworn that I could hear a radio station playing in the distance.  I could hear the mumbling of a radio dj, and then I recognized the tune "It's been a hard days night".  

I asked my wife if she could hear it, and she could not, so she reached over and turned off the fan, and then I could no longer hear it, so she turned it back on, at which point I could again hear the sound of a radio playing the same tune.  I tried to ignore it, but the sound was still audible to me, and after a bit the tune changed, so I know it was not a matter of me having  a tune stuck in my head.

Any ideas as to why I could only hear the "radio station" while the fan was running?

I can only think of two feasable possibilities: 1) Sound can bounce and be carried on the wind, so its possible with the fan on it was bringing air in carrying the sound. Not likely since I'd expect the fan to cause enough disturbance to disrupt any sound. 2) Some part of the fan was acting as a tuner similar to old crystal sets.

For either occurance you're talking long odds.

There's another possibility.

You were in a sate of heightened imagination due to being at the initial (waking) part of your sleep cycle and something about the rhythm and/or pitch of the sound reminded you of that song and you actually started to hear it. I get this sometimes, very cool. You dreamed it while still awake. :)

• 4 weeks later...