Science Forums

Just My Thoughts On An Sao Style Vr

ok, so i have limited knowledge of neurology but i spoke with someone in july 2015 at the chicago museum of science and industry  about some things and we kind of came up with a kind of outline of what would be needed and what could non invasively be done now

if anyone has an idea please quote the section of the post that pertains to your idea

#1. we would need a way to output data the same way we control ourselves now without actualy moveing( the temporary paralysis will be #2) now at the time this was still in development so the only thing we could think of was an eeg but even then that was still too low grade to precisely output motor actions, but recently in the news as you may have seen there is a man who lost his arm and is now pouring his own water, not sure if what he has is invasive or not, i was thinking there has to be a way that something that could read the electrical pulses that go through the spinal cord would be the best bet, maybe a super sensitive magnetic interface?

#2. onto paralysis, now we wouldnt want to be running and jumping into walls or out windows would we? i dont think so, so we need a way to paralize our bodys so we dont run around in the streets acting like a madman, now we had a few ideas that could work, the first was a directional, focused magnetic feild generator about 1" under the read sensor, and some sort of faraday device in-between them so one wouldnt interfere with the other, the idea is to emp the brain waves so that they wouldnt reach your muscles, the other idea was something that would induce the chemicals in the  REM cycle of sleep while you are still fully awake (essentialy lucid dreaming)  and the last idea(not realy feasible but still accomplishes the goal) would be a tazer but like i said, unless you want a burnt patch of skin on the back of your neck, this wont work and none of these would block the senses of sight,smell or sound so that they may be written into your brain  

#3. this would be the hardest part of the entire project, writing into the brain so that you may see what you are doing in the game/simulation, the only thing we could think of was some sort of electrical pulse generator that perfectly matches your brains output in intensity and frequency or someform of microwave pulses that would stimlate parts of the brain that are targeted.

ok so that is my post, maybe some of you can elaborate on these ideas or come up with better ideas, either way good luck XD

Edited by screamindynomit

• 2 weeks later...

Well, non-invasive methods are currently limited at the current time. I personally think that we're quite close to an SAO-style VR by using invasive methods.

But who would go through surgery (which has a risk of infection) just to play a game. But VR can be used for more than games. I think it has the same potential as the internet.

#1: From what I hear, EEGs are inaccurate, but there are many non-invasive alternative methods that I still need to research to see their effectiveness.

Here's a list: First Principle Vectors, Light Sheet Fluorescence Microscopy, MRI and Near Infra-red Spectroscopy.

The most accurate I've heard of is an ECoG, but that is invasive.

Recently there has been a lot of amazing advances in prosthetics such as the Bionic Eye and thought-controlled prosthetics (again invasive).

I like you idea of using reading from the spinal cord. I don't know if it will work but I will ask.

#3: Well, I've never heard of any non-invasive methods of doing so, BUT it has been done using invasve methods.

You are correct, those are the 3 things needed for a neural interface VR system. You can find a large amount of discussion on the topic here: http://www.scienceforums.com/forum/82-fulldive-technology/

As to your ideas:

1. Currently there is nothing both fast and accurate enough to read the motor cortex well enough for seamless motion data, and all the best methods are indeed invasive.

2. You misinterpret what an EMP is. An EMP is a wave of energy that induces electrical signals in metal wires, generally with so much energy that the wires melt. It doesn't stop electrical signals, it destroys the components of the electronics. However, yes, using the bodies natural chemical impulses to block nerve signals may at some point be a viable option, though it would require some way to stimulate nerves, leading to point 3;

3. Inducing signals in neurons is difficult at this point in time... currently the only readily usable method is directly connecting wires, which can cause tissue damage over time, and of course requires surgery. Many other methods are being researched, and show some promise, however.