Science Forums

Increase In Earth's Temperature, What Is The Reason?

rajpalrao

Averaged over all land and ocean surfaces, temperatures warmed roughly 1.53°F (0.85ºC) from 1880 to 2012, according to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

In the Northern Hemisphere, where most of Earth's land mass is located, the three decades from 1983 to 2012 were likely the warmest 30-year period of the last 1400 years, according to the IPCC.

Source UCAR

While greenhouse gases are for sure to cause global warming, they alone are not the reason for increase in earth's temperature.

Just curious to know if the increase in earth's temperature is due of excessive mining (of all sorts) and not due to greenhouse gases.

Raj

Welcome to hypography, raj! :) Please feel free to start a topic in the introductions forum to tell us something about yourself.

While greenhouse gases are for sure to cause global warming, they alone are not the reason for increase in earth's temperature.

Although the Earth’s air temperature depends on many complicated factors, and scientific models of it are imperfect, I believe the scientific consensus is that about 95% of the observed increase in average global temperature since 1880 is due to increased amounts of greenhouse gasses, the other 5% due to an increase in solar irradiance.

Just curious to know if the increase in earth's temperature is due of excessive mining (of all sorts) and not due to greenhouse gases.

I don’t think so.

Although the mechanical work of digging and other mining activities produces heat, the amount of heat is much less than the natural heat produced by the Earth (about 4.4 x 1013 W), which is itself much less than the heat produced by the Sun (assuming an average Earth albedo of 0.3, about 5.2 x 1016 W). I don’t know of a reference to the amount of heat produced to mining, but it can’t exceed the total power consumption of mining. Assuming that’s about 2.4% of the total power consumed by human world, that’s about 3.8 x 1011 W.

Sources: Wikipedia articles global warming, orders of magnitude (power), (New Zeland) energy use survey.

Hi Craig,

Thank you for your reply.

My reference to mining was not related to the heat produced by mechanical work during mining.

I will explain below.

Imagine boiling water in a container, on a stove, obviously with fire as source.

The container is only as much heated as it should be as long as it has enough water.

If you drain the water slowly and maintain the heat as it is,

(which means there not enough water / matter for the heat to get transferred to)

the heat is then transferred to the container, which gets heated more compared to what it was before

Now if we compare this real world scenario to earth,

the core where there is heat source is sufficient for all the matter above and below earth

to keep earth at the temp. at what it should be.

Now as we know if water is drained the container gets heated up,

similarly, excessive mining is removing the matter from the earth and hence the heat is transferred

to earth's outer surface from the core, and not from outside.

Hence the reason for earth's temp. to go up slightly by less than a degree in so many years,

which is also causing ice to melt and increase ocean levels.

I may be totally wrong, but I hope I made some sense in explaining my thought.

Raj

Imagine boiling water in a container, on a stove, obviously with fire as source.

The container is only as much heated as it should be as long as it has enough water.

If you drain the water slowly and maintain the heat as it is,

(which means there not enough water / matter for the heat to get transferred to)

the heat is then transferred to the container, which gets heated more compared to what it was before

This isn’t what happen. You can easily test this by actually doing the experiment you describe.

Assuming the container is closed, you will find that the temperature of the water and container will not change when you remove water. Its temperature depends on its surface area, shape, and orientation, and the pressure, temperature, composition, and motion of the air surrounding, not on the amount of water it contains.

The calculation of this is complicated. The Wikipedia article heat transfer coefficient could server as an introduction.

• 7 months later...

hii,

Increase in earth's temperature is due to the climate change and global warming .the season pattern changes... it has already started happening in Asia.. pretty clearly.... where it hits the poor hardest... i mean farmers... when season pattern changes... which affects their farming directly, farmers endure straight stretches of droughts and then when rain comes... it floods... in some cases ... the season changes from summer monsoon to winter showers.[/size]

[sPAMlink removed]

Raj

similarly, excessive mining is removing the matter from the earth and hence the heat is transferred

to earth's outer surface from the core, and not from outside.

I may be totally wrong, but I hope I made some sense in explaining my thought.

Raj

It’s been well documented that the ocean and crust are gaining extra heat from the top down,

rather than from the bottom up, so a geological explanation doesn’t seem likely. 

Plus, the greenhouse effect already accounts fairly fully for the normal and extra heating.

Without naturally occurring greenhouse gases, Earth's average temperature would be near 0°F (or -18°C; 255 K) instead of the much warmer 59°F (15°C; 288 K).

In particular, the amount of carbon dioxide (CO2) has increased by 30% [48%] since pre-industrial times (from about 270 molecules of CO2 per million molecules of air in 1850

to the present 360 [400] parts per million).”  [my edit for 2016]

While water vapor contributes the most, to the total greenhouse effect (59°F instead of near 0°F), CO2 contributes somewhere around 4°F (iirc, or is it 4°C/8°F?) to those 59 degrees F of greenhouse warming.

gas_graph3.jpg

“Breakdown of the "natural" greenhouse effect by contributing gas.”

...CO2 is included in the "other gases" in yellow.  

It's the one major thing we can change independently, significantly, and intentionally, as we have done so unintentionally.

===

So, if CO2 has increased by about half again [48%] as much since pre-industrial levels, then that has lead to about another 2°F increase in global average heating.

Also note how an increase in global average heating of one degree F (about 1/2°C)

leads automatically to an increase in water vapor of about 3-4%/°F,

more water vapor per degree of extra warming.

"Basic theory, observations and climate model results all show that the increase in water vapor is roughly 6 percent to 7.5 percent per degree Celsius warming of the lower atmosphere."

More water vapor on average can easily mean warmer nights or bigger storms or more pests and diseases, along with other changes, depending on latitude and altitude, etc.

Imagine, with 3°C extra warming, the world on average would be about 20% more humid <_<

~

"Although the Earth’s air temperature depends on many complicated factors, and scientific models of it are imperfect, I believe the scientific consensus is that about 95% of the observed increase in average global temperature since 1880 is due to increased amounts of greenhouse gasses, the other 5% due to an increase in solar irradiance."

post-40268-0-82799600-1466370615_thumb.gif

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/christopherbooker/6679082/Climate-change-this-is-the-worst-scientific-scandal-of-our-generation.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2425775/Climate-scientists-told-cover-fact-Earths-temperature-risen-15-years.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/environment/globalwarming/11395516/The-fiddling-with-temperature-data-is-the-biggest-science-scandal-ever.html

There was another graph that I really wanted to add but I couldn't find it. It shows the official data from 1880 to present and the earlier bit that was cut off from the released graph that shows global warming was already well under way before the industrial revolution.

The correlation between Co2 and temperature broke the moment we started producing our own, proving that the relationship is no Co2 = cause, warming = effect.

post-40268-0-74039100-1466371886_thumb.png

• 3 months later...

Throughout the history of the planet the CO2 levels have been thousands of times higher than they are now, even during some of the ice ages.  The sun has an 11 year cycle and it is currently running hotter.

In recent years, researchers have considered the possibility that the sun plays a role in global warming. After all, the sun is the main source of heat for our planet. The NRC report suggests, however, that the influence of solar variability is more regional than global.  The Pacific region is only one example. 

Caspar Amman of NCAR noted in the report that "When Earth's radiative balance is altered, as in the case of a change in solar cycle forcing, not all locations are affected equally.  The equatorial central Pacific is generally cooler, the runoff from rivers in Peru is reduced, and drier conditions affect the western USA."

https://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2013/08jan_sunclimate

• 5 weeks later...

I was wondering the effect on Earth's temperature the fact that so much water across the world is contained in different bottles, different size containers, swimming pools, etc. has. Since there is less water in natural systems than there would naturally be, that "emprisonned" water is not there to cool down the whole global water mass, thus maybe contributing (at least a small little bit) to ocean temprature increase. What do you think holding that water from flowing and evaporating freely has on our environment ?

• 2 weeks later...

So, normal is that hot/cold/dry/wet stable conditions in which is agricultural productivity for severe billions people working shortly before, are unsustainable now?

Where is written that, and why we should support it?

... besides of "Mein Kampf"...

Edited by haram

Arguments on that statement?

Any source of heat on Earth's surface would be wasted if here is not some insulating layer. And that are the greenhouse gasses.

If you don't believe it, visit the Moon for just one local day.

Water is a huge greenhouse gas. It's not being "contained" in any meaningful way. I'd actually wager the water we free-up from hydrocarbons well-outpaces any consumption.

That is true - but it then condenses out of the atmosphere days later.  Since it doesn't stay in the atmosphere for any significant amount of time, and since evaporation from the oceans vastly outweighs it, it's not the primary factor in warming.

This is my first post on this forum, so hi to everyone. 

Raj

Apparently, land use changes can introduce either a positive or a negative effect on temperature, depending on latitude. 

At high latitudes, deforestation is more likely to cause regional cooling, whereas the opposite is true at low latitudes.  

Another possible cause of warming that's spoken about to some extent but not explored in detail is apparent warming due to the methods and instruments used to record temperature. 

We know that weather data is adjusted to correct for UHI and other external pollution, but there are variables that haven't been compensated for. 

A few years ago, I conducted an experiment with 2 identical Stevenson screen weather stations in an open area and found (not surprisingly) that the temperature readings tracked within 0.2 degrees C, which was close to sensor tolerance. 

However, on a sunny day, if I introduced an external shade to one station via a beach umbrella, the warmest hour reading was up to 2.5 degrees C lower than the unshaded station. Similarly, if I directed a large cooling fan onto one station on a warm sunny day with little wind, the reading was lower on that station.

So what does this mean?   It means that we're not actually measuring air temperature. It's worth remembering that we're measuring the temperature of a solid state sensor, or previously, a volume of mercury, which is at best an approximation.  

The Stevenson screen is not a perfect reflector of visible light, and does convert some of it into low frequency IR which contaminates the T max reading.

The implications of our measurements and instruments is that the apparent daytime temperature is subject to wind and cloud cover. Interestingly, both of which have decreased over populated terrestrial regions of the globe since the 1950's.  

Unfortunately, there is very little motivation within the science community to explore this further.