Science Forums

An Introduction To The Baha'i Faith

RonPrice

I have been invited to say a few things about the Baha'i Faith in this theology forum.  To save me reinventing the wheel, so to speak, I'll post a few words from Wikipedia which provides a good start for readers. The Bahá'í Faith is a monotheistic religion which emphasizes the spiritual unity of all humankind. Three core principles establish a basis for Bahá'í teachings and doctrine: the unity of God, that there is only one God who is the source of all creation; the unity of religion, that all major religions have the same spiritual source and come from the same God; and the unity of humanity, that all humans have been created equal, and the unity in diversity, that diversity of race and culture are seen as worthy of appreciation and acceptance. According to the Bahá'í Faith's teachings, the human purpose is to learn to know and to love God through such methods as prayerreflection and being of service to humanity. For more go to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bah%C3%A1%27%C3%AD_Faith

Edited by RonPrice

The notion of physical evidence, Moontanman, in relation to a religion is covered within the topic of historicity. Historicity is the historical actuality of persons and events, meaning the quality of being part of history as opposed to being a historical mythlegend, or fiction. Historicity focuses on the truth value of knowledge claims about the past (denoting historical actuality, authenticity, and factuality). The historicity of a claim about the past is its factual status. The Baha'i Faith has more historical actuality than all the old religions since it began in the 19th century. You can read about it at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Bah%C3%A1%27%C3%AD_Faith

The notion of physical evidence, Moontanman, in relation to a religion is covered within the topic of historicity. Historicity is the historical actuality of persons and events, meaning the quality of being part of history as opposed to being a historical mythlegend, or fiction. Historicity focuses on the truth value of knowledge claims about the past (denoting historical actuality, authenticity, and factuality). The historicity of a claim about the past is its factual status. The Baha'i Faith has more historical actuality than all the old religions since it began in the 19th century. You can read about it at: [/size]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Bahá'í_Faith

More accurate because it was conceived of more recently? That's not evidence of anything, in fact I would say it is evidence it was completely made up!

Mormonism, Scientology, and the Urantia foundation are all relatively recent and totally lacking in evidence of any kind...

What sort of evidence are you looking for, Moontanman. If it is not historical factuality, what are you looking for that you would call evidence?-Ron

Historical factuality might do it, but it would have to be something that couldn't be known by anyone but god. Evidence would not be a correct date that some event happened. I could write a book about aliens invading New York City and name real people places and events but it would not make the alien invasion real..

Edited by Moontanman

What sort of evidence are you looking for, Moontanman. If it is not historical factuality, what are you looking for that you would call evidence?-Ron

Look Ron, I'm not going to pursue you on this, as far as I know no religion has empirical evidence of its validity. I always ask, one day maybe I'll get an answer that is evidence but you are free to believe what you will...

• 2 weeks later...

If you do not accept the evidence provided by the Baha'i Faith, you would not be able to accept the evidence for the existence of WW2, the moon landing, or the major events of modern history. The facts of the Baha'i Faith fall into the same category as other events in modern history. You can choose to ignore them, any or all of them, but that does not prove they did not exist. As you say, belief and knowledge are two different things.-Ron

If you do not accept the evidence provided by the Baha'i Faith, you would not be able to accept the evidence for the existence of WW2, the moon landing, or the major events of modern history. The facts of the Baha'i Faith fall into the same category as other events in modern history. You can choose to ignore them, any or all of them, but that does not prove they did not exist. As you say, belief and knowledge are two different things.-Ron

How about listing a few instead of simply asserting it as true... 

I went to your links, all I saw was a list of people involved and dates they were born and dates some things supposedly happened. Nothing supernatural and definitely nothing all other religions can claim as well. Mormons come to mind also scientologists... 

No - the evidence you're talking about is that there is evidence that people existed who followed the Baha'i faith and who believed the Baha'i faith but not evidence that the Baha'i faith is accurate when it makes assertions about the world. It claims there is a god, but it provides no evidence for that god's existence (or, rather, no evidence that is not better explained through simpler means).